11. Die For You

Waking up to my morning playlist had me smiling before even opening my eyes. The smell of coffee from my kitchen which was just outside my bedroom door reminded me that I was back in New York.

I had a tiny apartment. One that a typical just graduated from college student would have, but that didn't mean I had to look like a savage. I had my own espresso machine with a timer, and coffee that I grabbed from Nik's house when I visited him.

Sometimes it's his cappuccino sachets.

I had a pleasant morning, like any other while bantering with my closest male friend (thee best guy friend) and sharing every little cute detail about our relationships without the drama that'd come with having female friends.

Guyfriends are awesome.

Apparently I was the chatterbox... Nik thought so too, but I thought he was being the ol' grumpy critique and believe me, I continued talking either way when he said that— ignoring his insults.

"So you longer stay with him?"

"No, but I do have dinner with him sometimes. He takes me back to apartment after. Goodness, he's so dramatic. He won't set foot in my apartment building 'cause everything about it was just wrong," I scoffed and shook my head, "but I don't let him mock it though, 'cause right now, it's my home. My tiny home," I said, looking around it.

"Your apartment isn't that small. You're just used to his big house. Emily, you even have an extra room to rent out."

"You know, sometimes I go in that room and picture a nursery. Maybe that's why I haven't put out an ad— ah!" I immediately dropped my cup, and grabbed my phone from the counter before running out of the apartment, shouting; "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh..." repeatedly.

Jacob kept on trying to find out what was happening.

I closed my apartment door and ran down the stairs. "Jake, I'm scared for my life..." I was breathless.

"Why? What happened? Are you okay?"

"There's a gigantic rat in my apartment," I whispered. "You gotta help me. I've got an interview in an hour or so."

"Don't freak out. It's just NYC welcoming you back."

"Ha. Ha. Well, I don't happen to like said welcome," I sternly whispered.

"Hang in there. I'll be there in a moment."

Jacob came as quick as he had promised to my rescue that morning, but had a go at my attire after I gave him a fuzzy hug. What was wrong with having a bunny onesie? Or stuffed animals in your room for that matter.

Minutes later, he came down holding the rodent by its tail. "You were scared of this tiny harmless thing?"

"Don't come anywhere near me or else I will— get away, you moron!"

He chuckled as an old lady made way down the stairs, "I'm sorry. Geez, you're genuinely scared of them," he said.

"Yea, I'm all for saving animals, but I wouldn't mind people killing those. There are too many— could you please stop holding the stupid rat?" It gave me the heebie-jeebies.

"You want me to put it down?"

"Outside, Jacob. I want you to get rid of it outside."

"Alright, but just know that I've got my own rates as a hitman. Check my website," he smirked my way.

"You two make such a wonderful couple."

"We-"

"Thank you, ma'am," Jacob answered and I raised my eyebrows at him. I wasn't surprised though. Just the other day, he said we were brother and sister to a stranger who enquired about our relationship.