9. New York's Elite

"...She had them guessing, wondering and in awe, but she never shared her secret. A magician's act is worth nothing when the secret has been revealed. But how did she do it? For 1 whole year and some change. She had thee Nikolas Bychkov, certified sociopath and bachelor, wrapped around her tiny little manicured fingers.

Who was this girl? Certainly not from one of New York's well-respected families, according various sources. She practically came out of no where and stole the show. An underdog maybe? People are suckers for those stories..." I read a part of the article about me and Nikolas. I had seen a picture of us on the cover and I had to buy one.

Me? On tabloids? Let's disregard that they have it all wrong, that Nikolas broke up with me on that picture we took in one of Seattle's 5-star hotels. But that was me on a magazine!

But wait. That wouldn't good for Nik's latest companion, would it? A picture is worth a hundred words which can be misinterpreted. Those pictures were quite cozy.

Could I be selfish and use an opportunity (which I otherwise wouldn't have stumbled upon if I hadn't returned to New York) and light a spark between Nik and I?

Without giving it too much thought, I gave him a call- which was rudely declined and had me dropping my jaw.

"He wouldn't!" I tried once more, and it was declined quicker than before.

"Jake..." I seeked counsel from the one person I trusted in New York to hear about my relationship with Nikolas.

"Hey, Em! It's been a while. How are you doing?"

"Well enough, considering that my face is on the front page of a local magazine!" I shouted not in excitement, but in frustration.

The article had made Nik not want to talk to me again, but we were on good terms, even after the break up.

"That piece? That's nothing compared to the Times broadsheets- I actually know a celebrity. It's so cool."

"No, Jacob. Not cool. Nik and I broke up..."

"But the article says that the picture was taken yesterday, at a hotel. You two seemed cozy-"

"Well, we were just being nice to a nice girl-"

"Even the elevator picture?"

"There's an elevator picture?"

"Em, read the Times. The piece is beautifully written, despite the whole break-up thing. I'm sorry to hear that by the way."

"Thanks."

"We've got a busy day here, so we'll talk later?"

"Sure, later it is. I want to hear all about your girl- what the hack?" I saw a notification of a text from Nikolas. "Nik just sent me a text saying that he doesn't want to talk to me and he doesn't want me calling."

"Whoa."

"It's not him," I shook my head, looking at the text. I smiled, relieved and repeated, "it's not Nik."

"How you do know?"

"I just do. You don't want to talk to me after what happened at the hotel? Sent."

"But you said noth-"

"Nothing happened, but this bitch doesn't know that," I confidently replied. I immediately headed to my closet, and started thinking about what I'd wear for a physical enquiry of the texts.

"Bitch?"

"Yea, Stephanie something. He recently started seeing her," I said.

"Geez, so soon?"

"We had separated a long time ago. He took it as though I broke up with him and... it's a whole thing. She just replied that: It was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened. I'm with someone else. Yup, it's not Nikolas. All I gotta do is crash a party."

"What do you mean by-"

"I'll call you later."

"Em-"

"I gotta get ready. Love you. Bye."

▪︎

I stepped a single foot, revealing my 6-inch platforms. I called out to the guard to help me out of the cab.

"I thought you had your own car," he said as he took my hand.

"Drive in these shoes, Marco. How could I ever?"

He smirked, "it's good to see you again, Ms Harris."

"I know," I smiled back at him.

"Is that a Russian coat?" He asked.

"Yes, it is, darling. Is he in?"

"Mr Bychkov left about an hour ago. I think he forgot something at home."

"Of course he has," I replied, and gave him coffee that I bought while having a chat with Jacob. Ugh, the eyes that were on me at Starbucks... I had to buy sunglasses at the nearest store.

I cheerfully greeted everyone on the ground floor, handing them their favorite kind of coffee like I used when I worked there. Jacob and I had played this game of guessing what coffee they really liked from their personalities. He was surely thee best barista in New York City, and I was the best at getting people's personality right.

I headed straight up to Jason's office and was met with the new old me. Ugh, so eager to impress.

"You can't just-"

"Call security," I said, heading to Jason's door. He had a few folders in front of him that I stole his attention from. "Watson, did you miss me?"

"Sir, I tried to stop-"

"Ms Harris," Watson smiled. He gave me a hug and peck on the cheek. "Of course, I've missed you."

"As you should."

Jason smirked at my reply and then attended his assistant. "It's okay, Ms Robertson. Ms Harris doesn't bite-"

"Unless you like," I looked at her up and down, checking her out. "You must be Cecilia," I gave her my hand, barely. "Emily Harris."

"I know who you are."

"As you should, sweetie. Don't let the door hit you," I said before turning back to Watson. "Is she any good?" I asked audible enough as she closed the door.

"She does her job," he shrugged.

I sat across from him, "Jason, I'm looking for my husband."