3. Bodyguard

With her hair dried, Emily stepped out of the bathroom with a navy blue bathrobe covering her freshly showered body.

"That was like the worst shower I've ever had," she dramatically said, with a valley girl accent and everything.

Trevor smirked. He had quickly seen through the whole act earlier, and took it as a coping mechanism for what had happened. Not many saw through her act. In fact, other than the people who had already known the charade—Nik, none other knew.

"Thanks."

"No problem." He hugged a blanket and a pillow. "I'm just here for these, and the room is all yours."

"I'd feel safer if you stayed," she quickly said as he left. Trevor paused for a beat, and eyed the floor before shrugging his shoulders and agreeing to stay. "On the bed."

"On the bed?"

"Yes. I'm not being coy. I just think I would feel safer," she declared heading to the bed. But Trevor was still against the idea, "we'll sleep with separate blankets."

"I don't think it's a good idea. It's unpro-"

"Trevor, I don't bite," she had her head tilted to the side.

"I'll keep my gun under my pillow. No funny business."

Emily's dainty body had Trevor's t-shirt look like a baggy mini-dress when she had it on. Exiting the bathroom, she found him already in bed and with his back to her.

For a while, she laid on her back and stared at the ceiling. She couldn't help wondering what would've happened if he hadn't been there. Her frustration awakened when she remembered how powerless she felt when he had his grips on her.

"Trevor," she called once after a loud sigh and proceeded to ask, "are you asleep?"

"Trying to. Why?"

"I just wanted to talk. It's no biggie. You can sleep," she said. He never responded. She assumed that he'd gone back to sleep.

Moments later, in a whispering unsure voice she said; "You really have your gun under your pillow, right?"

Trevor immediately turned to her. He looked very tired, yet concerned. "Are you sure about not pressing charges? You still can."

No response.

"Ma'am, nothing will happen to you. I promise."

Tears started to form on her eyelids, but she never allowed them to come out. But her voice gave it away either way, "I can't help but wonder what would've-"

"Don't think like that-"

"You didn't see the look in his eyes," she snapped at him, swiftly turning his way and allowed him to see the terror in her eyes. "Every time I close my eyes, it's all I see."

"Okay, I think I might have a solution for you," he started, turning his whole body fully toward her. "Close your eyes."

"Close my-"

"Just trust me, okay?" He said.

She nodded in response.

In a soothing monotone voice, he started getting her to do breathing exercises, "in through your nose and out your mouth," repeatedly until he started planting a calming scene in her mind that had her no longer thinking about the incident and soon, she was fast asleep.

▪︎

Emily hummed one of the songs she listened to in the morning since her phone was dead. Trevor had a different charger to hers. Bummer.