16. Incorporated Ruse

Pride has us not wanting to admit to wrong, fearing to be seen as less than. I had the same feeling after finding out how wrong I was about Mr Bychkov.

I thought I'd meet a man not liking the sight of me when I arrived outside Bergdorf Goodman, but that wasn't the case. Mr Bychkov put business first, and everything else behind him. He gave me pointers and a few salesman tips as we entered the store.

Since he never talked about our mini-fight, I thought I'd bring it up while we waited for the owner to arrive.

"So, I wanted to-"

"Hey. Totes love that outfit. How can I assist the lovely couple," the guy I had spoken to two days ago appeared in of me.

"Uh," I glanced at Mr Bychkov. He wasn't phased in any way about the claim. "We're not-"

"We're good. Thanks."

"Suit yourselves," he said. He wasn't rude, but he just didn't care. "You know where to find me."

"Totes," I replied. I turned to Mr Bychkov when the guy was gone and asked why he never denied the claim.

"Is it any of his business?"

"No, but..." I trailed off, and decided to move on from that useless conversation. "Anyway, I wanted to apologize about the accusation."

"Go ahead."

"I am so sorry. That was horrible of me. You could've told me, you know, boasted about it-"

"Do I seem boastful?" He asked.

"I don't know. You're complicated, yet simple," I said, running my fingers through the expensive material clothing as I was in my thinking mode.

"You think I'm simple?" He asked.

I stopped, and turned to him once more. "As in you know what you want, and you go after it. You put a lot of work in it, just like this deal you're chasing.
And yet, you can be so complicating," I quickly said.

"Good," he nodded my way, and headed in another direction, leaving me a bit confused.

"Good? What's good?" I asked, following after him.

The look he gave me when he responded was more serious than I had ever seen. I accused him at his own home, but he was never as serious. "Good that you know I've worked hard on this, and you won't mess things up."

"Of course. Yes, sir."

"And don't rush through your words like you do when you're trying to make a point. Remember, you're trying to pass as someone with taste and professionalism."

"Yes, sir," I nodded.

"Great outfit."

"Thank you," I did a slight curtsy with a twist.

"Just stand beside me and look cute," he said. He didn't trust me that much? "Mr Neimark, punctual as always," Mr Bychkov took his hand, "meet-"

"Your better half?" Mr Neimark asked, insinuating. Mr Bychkov merely laughed. I just stood there and smiled. "I mean, why else would you bring such a distraction to this meeting?"

"You flatter me," I smiled his way, since he was basically flirting with me.

"She is beautiful, isn't she?" Mr Bychkov said, looking my way. I felt his hand on the small of my back, and it felt familiar, as he introduced me: "Emily Harris."

"Not Bychkov? You better watch out, I might snatch her."

"You couldn't, even if you tried," I placed my arm around Mr Bychkov. "But Mr Neimark's right, Nik. You better put a ring on it."

"I might."

"Alright, stop flirting. Give your girl a kiss, and let's get down to it," Mr Neimark said. The way he said it clearly implied that I wouldn't be joining the meeting.

Mr Bychkov got a card out of his wallet, and handed it to me. "Have fun at the spa. I'll see you in a moment, Em."

"Thanks, babe," I smiled at him although the misogynistic power play angered me so much that I wanted to slap it out of him.

Mr Bychkov gave me a kiss before following the owner to his apparent office. I heard Neimark say: "you got yourself a young foxy dame, huh?"

Great. Two dinosaurs who have more than enough to say in objectifying women.

I looked at the card in my hand, and decided: "you wanna play a game? I'll play your little game." I walked out of that store and headed for the nearest spa to get myself treated with his money like his "little woman" would.

I had the most relaxing spa day, ever. They treated me like royalty after I opted for the most expensive treatment. I knew Bychkov could afford it, judging from his spectacle of a house.

I got out of that spa feeling so relaxed that I felt uppity, instead of acting it. I had a satisfied smile until my eyes landed on Mr Bychkov who seemed to have been waiting for me outside the spa.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" I knew his question was sarcastic since it was quite evident that I did.

But I replied anyway; "Oh gosh, I feel so good that it doesn't seem right- how did you find me?"

"You're using my card, Emily. Since it's not something I don't indulge in, the credit card company called me," he said.

"Oh."

"Right in the middle of the meeting," he added. I couldn't tell if he was angry about it, or if it helped make our ruse look more solid.

"Are you mad?"

"I handled it," he said. He opened the door, and I went in the front passenger seat of his car. I presumed it was the fact that he was standing right next to it. Otherwise why would he open it for me?

"Oh gosh," I sighed again as he got in the car, "could we continue this little charade, 'cause I'd love more of that," I pointed back at the spa.

"Yes, actually."

"What?"

"Mr Neimark invited me to his fundraiser, said to bring my girlfriend. There'll be many important people there, big names. You'll be by my side, and look pretty."

Will, I never...