18. Sold to the cold

Mr Bychkov had sold the dream of making a difference in society so well that I was hesitant on calling Jacob back. The next morning's sun rose with my phone in my hand.

After having my breakfast, and listening to my playlist still not clear about my decision, I went to my whiteboard and got a marker.

There were more cons to Mr Bychkov's deal than there were pros, and these included his intimidating presence. But the most important pro was being given a chance to lead women to independence. Feminists.
In Jacob's situation, there was only one con: no spark, yet. Sure, we had fun. He was easy to talk to, but I wanted more...

I received an email from a Joanna Mitcham. It started with greetings, and her identifying herself: "I know that this is so rando, but I totes want to hang out with you, get to know you. Gosh, you've got such taste." She included her number, adding that she and her friends were going out, that she wanted me to join. She Ps'd: "you should hook me up with your designer or stylist."

I got on my insta and found that she was from one of the powerful families in NYC. I would later understand what an honor that invitation was. The vacations she took, meals, my gosh! She was living the life. Her life was what you'd only see in paper, and she invited me! That had me curious of how it was like to experience that luxury.

But I could understand why she needed a stylist.

I was about to call the number when I received a call from Jacob. I could only imagine the courage it took for him to call me.

"Hey."

"Hi. I didn't expect you to answer," he said.

"Why?"

"Well, I thought you're at work."

"No, I got fired," I carelessly said. It didn't matter either way.

He asked many questions, sounding very concerned, and he assumed it was; "that horrible boss."

"He had a lot to do with it," I said, but I reassured him that it was nothing like he thought.

"Oh, that's why you haven't been on this side of town to get your Frappuccino."

"Uh, yea," I nodded, as though he'd see the gesture. "Yes, that's exactly why."

"You're okay though?"

"Yea, sure," I sounded a bit pitchy as I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm good."

"Great. Listen, I wanted to talk-"

"I don't."

"O-kay? Um, okay."

"But I did want to ask if you're gay," I asked. I needed to know before we became something.

"What?"

"Nevermind. I'm being weird..." I trailed off while he expressed his confusion. I still wanted to know what the deal with was either way. "But seriously though, are you a virgin?"

It was silent.

"Still there?" I asked, even though I could see that the call was still ongoing.

"Yes. This is quite a conversation we're having, over the phone." Why was he being mysterious? It was only sex in the end.

"It is a simple question, isn't it?"

He sighed. "No, I'm not. You've changed since the business trip. It's like I don't know you anymore."

"You said you didn't know me, remember?" I said, "when you turned me down. Don't now act like you do- or did."

"Sex isn't everything-"

"Duh. But why do you deprive me of that fun?" I asked.

"Wow," I heard him whisper, "I don't think this is going work out-"

"What are you talking about? Are you breaking up with me?"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. You know, I rooted for you when my bo... friends told me to break up with you. Clearly, they saw what I didn't."

"What is that?"

"That you still need to grow a pair to handle a strong woman like me." I ended the call with that statement. I slammed my phone in anger, and stared in front of me for a while until I broke into tears.

We hadn't known each other for long, but what I felt was nothing close to what I did for my exes. I had a 2 week long relationship once and it took even longer to recover. It wasn't that I never cared, but what I felt for Jacob was different.

It was like I lost a friend. A very good friend.

My sister was at work. Riley was in the clouds, and I had no one to turn to in NYC. A pile of used tissues later, Mr Bychkov popped into mind. He would love these news.

But I wouldn't tell him who broke up with whom.

Ding-dong. I rang the bell once. I presented a damsel in distress when he showed up at the door with his finely aged self.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, despite the sad look on my face- not to mention being bloated.

"Are you going to invite me in?"

"I'm entertaining guests," he gestured behind him, "and that gloomy look is going to bum everyone out."

"We broke up."

"Yea, so?" He asked.

"It's what you wanted-"

"But it wasn't what you wanted, is it?" He rhetorically asked, "That'd mean he broke up with you, and made you sad. Again I ask, what are you doing here?"

"To find out about our next step in building our empire is," I said.

"Were you always such a good liar? Your answers are on point, but you're lying," he seemed fascinated by the fact.

"I-"

"Nevermind. About the empire: who's to say I haven't replaced you?" He asked. "But don't worry, I'm sure your crush will take you back. Riley's job is still vacant. Hopefully in 10 to 15 years you'll be able to make the changes you wanted to see in the business world for women."

For the first time in my life, I wasn't sure about my future. I never knew whether I needed to fight for what I wanted, or let fate take the wheel.

"I believe that's the cue for you to leave."

I said my goodbye, and turned away to leave. He called my name. I answered to it, hoping that he had changed his mind, instead he told me to never just show up at his house. Invitation only.

So cold.