0.2 | Prologue

Tasdar stood by the window and watched the storm subside. The rain had stopped, but the wind was stirring around and bending tree branches. The clouds soon parted, revealing the Blood Moon, and red light illuminated the surroundings even more. This night was special and very important. Just by looking at the moon, Tasdar could feel the power growing and a sly smile appeared on his face. He stood leaning forward, one hand holding the red curtain and the other caressing the hilt of his sword, his leather-booted feet firmly planted on the wooden floor. He was sure his daughter was almost there. From the first day he learned of her existence, the demon felt a special connection and knew she would help him fulfil all his desires. This girl had his blood, maybe she was even stronger than him. He couldn’t let her stay with her mother and risk losing if she decided to go against him.

After a while, Tasdar’s gaze shifted to the door as it opened. Two guards entered, dragging a woman into the hall. She resisted and tried to escape, but her eyes met Tasdar’s and she froze, hanging her head. The demon backed away from the window and walked towards her, making almost no sound, his long cloak slipping easily across the floor. As he approached, he looked closely at the woman and laughed softly. Her hands were trembling with fear, which only gave him more confidence.

“Where is she?” Tasdar asked in a husky voice.

The woman remained silent without raising her head, in no way wanting to reveal her daughter’s location.

“You know what will happen if you don’t give her to me, don’t you?” he smiled, trying to look her in the eye, but she kept turning away. “You know it’s inevitable and you must obey me if you want to stay alive, right?”

“She is dead,” the woman said in a woeful voice. “I’m so sorry...”

The demon was silent for a moment, looking at her and trying to read something from her face.

“Dead, you say?” He roared. “You’re so sorry?”

Gathering her courage, the woman finally raised her eyes and took a few steps closer.

“We didn’t know she could only be a half-demon, which means she’s mortal, right?”

Tasdar clasped his hands behind his back and walked around the hall, thinking. After a minute, he turned to face her again.

“When and how did she die?”

“After our last meeting, when she was only five months old.”

“Not today?” Tasdar’s lips parted in silent surprise. “I thought she was supposed to be born on the night of the Blood Moon!”

“I thought so too, but what could I do if the prophecy didn’t come true? Ravenna is dead, don’t you understand?”

Tasdar’s eyes narrowed. “Why should I believe what you say?”

“Haven’t you ever checked Azryath if you cherish her so much? You knew all along I lived there. You could come whenever you wanted.”

The demon grabbed her by her clothes in fury and pulled her closer. “Why are you lying to me, Arella? You know I can’t go to Azryath because Azarra covered it with a protective shield. That means Ravenna was born today, but you want to hide her from me!”

“No, Tasdar, I swear, why should I lie to you?” The frightened woman couldn’t resist, his strong hands seemed to tear her in two. She knew she couldn’t escape.