Experiment With Slime

After collecting enough slime from the streets, The boys in the lab take some slime out of the microwave. Y/N sat next to Spengler at the table as Ray brought the container of slime over, "We've been experimenting with the plasm we found in the subway tunnel. Careful."

"Should I get spoons?" Peter sarcastically remarks. Egon shook his head, "Don't bother. Watch this. Go ahead, Ray." Ray leans over the table above the slime, "You! You worthless piece of slime! You ignorant, disgusting blob!" Y/N's eyes enlarged as Ray and Egon yelled at the slime, watching as it bubbled angrily.

"You're nothing but an unstable, short-chain molecule!"

"You foul, obnoxious mob!"

"You have a weak electrochemical bond!" Egon yells, making more bubbles appear. Y/N covers her mouth, trying not to laugh. "I have seen some disgusting crud in my time, but you take the cake!" Ray yells before Winston stops him.

"This is what you do with your spare time." Peter frowns at them. Egon leans back against his chair as Ray answers him, "Peter, this is an incredible breakthrough. I mean, what a discovery! A psychoreactive substance! Whatever this stuff is, it responds to human emotional states."

"Mood slime." Peter leans over to the slime, "Oh, baby..." It bubbles, making him back up. Winston frowns at Ray, "You mean this stuff actually feeds on bad vibes."

"Like a cop in a donut factory."

"We've been running tests to see if we can get an equally strong positive reaction." Egon inquiries. "What kind of tests?" Y/N questions, knowing that was what Peter was thinking. "Well, we sing to it, and we talk to it, and say supportive, nurturing things to it..." Ray lists.

"You're not sleeping with it, are you, Ray?" Peter asks. Ray and Egon didn't say anything giving an uncomfortable silence to the room. "Oh, you!" Peter gasps. Winston shook his head, "It's always the quiet ones."

"You hound!"

Ray clears his throat, "We aren't the only ones..." Y/N frowns at Ray's statement. "What do you mean?" Egon coughed and barely shook his head, but Ray stared at her, "We... uh... put some slime in a stuffed bear and uh..." Then, it clicked in her head. She woke up and caught Spengler in her room one night, telling her he was checking on her when he was really putting the bear in her room. "How long ago was this!?" She freaked.

"Three weeks ago... We put it in your room at night then took it in the morning before you woke up." Ray answered, "Well, Spengie put it in your room, I just filled it with slime." Y/N's eyes were on Spengler the entire time. Finally, she opened her mouth, but before she could say anything, Egon had changed the subject, "How about the kinetic test?"

"Okay," Ray answered, moving quickly out of the lab to the main floor with Egon. Y/N turns to Peter and Winston to see their mouths open in shock. Egon was putting an ordinary household toaster on the pool table when the others came in, "Ordinary household toaster."

"I'll take your word for that," Peter mutters. Ray starts putting slime in it, "It responds to music, so we've been doing some experimentation. Playing easy listening. Middle-of-the-road type stuff. You know, Paul Young, Dust In The Wind, that works okay."

"It works for me."

Egon grabs the radio, "It loves Jackie Wilson." He hits play, and the music "(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher" starts playing. Peter crosses his arms, "Sheesh! You guys do this at night when I'm not here? Oh, I get it; it sings! It sounds exactly like Jack; that's fantastic."

"Just watch."

"Does it do Emmy Lou Harris?" Peter asks just as the toaster jumps, "Oh, it dances too." Everyone watches as the toaster keeps dancing. "Shake it up!" Ray yells, and the toaster spits out toast. Egon catches it and turns off the music. Peter hugs the toaster, "Oh! Oh, oh baby, oh, you're my number one Christmas boutique gift item!" Winston laughs, "Right, and the first time somebody gets mad, the toaster could eat their hand."

Peter puts his finger above the toaster, "No, no, no, no, we put a warning label on it, we don't have any liability- aggh! Ow! Oh!" Egon gets the toaster off his hand and worryingly looks at Peter. "Oh! Oh, did you ever go for it." Peter jokes. "The old man-eating-toaster gig!" Ray joins in. Egon sets the toaster down and shook his head at Peter's childish behavior. Y/N had her arms crossed and thought about what Ray mentioned earlier.

 When the boys begin walking away, she grabs Spengler's arm, making him turn to her. The expression on her face said it all. Ray turned around to see the tension build up between them. Peter and Winston already made it out of the room, whispering to each other, "He's in trouble..." Winston murmurs. Peter nodded his head in agreement, with Ray hurrying to them.

Spengler and Y/N stared at each other, not saying anything. She was still processing the fact that Egon would slip a bear full of slime into her room. "Are you going to explain? Or do I have to pull Ray's ears to get an answer?" She asks, her eyebrow rising and her eyes narrowed. Egon breaks eye contact, "We were testing an experiment to see how it reacts when with a male and female specimen-"

"Experiment?" 

"Yes."

Y/N pursed her lips in a thin line, "You could have asked me, instead of sneaking in my room every night like the creeper."

"I should have. Would you...?" He hesitates on the question. Y/N lets out an airy chuckle, "Give me the bear." She holds out her hand and Egon grabs a stuffed bear from the counter and hands it to her, "Here you go."

"Thank you." Y/N takes the slime-stuffed bear to her room, leaving Egon chuckling to himself, "I cannot deny that I like her." He whispers to himself.

Y/N closed her bedroom door and hugged tightly to the bear, "I really like him..." She whispers.