1.2 | Voices

“Come closer, Mellburn, I have something to tell you,” Tasdar invited him inside. His eyes, as usual, were fixed on the window.

The servant walked closer and bowed respectfully. “I’m listening, my Lord.”

“You’ve served me for more than ten years, right?” the demon asked without looking at him.

“Yes.” He nodded. “So are you saying..?”

“Three more years and you’ll ask for your reward, won’t you? What do you want most for those years?”

Mellburn furrowed his brow and looked at Tasdar intently. Will he actually repay him for the service? His face looked completely serious, but could he trust that demon?

“You know exactly what I want,” Mellburn smiled. “Nothing but freedom. No obligations and no commitments.”

“And nothing else would satisfy you?”

The man breathed in sharply. “What do you mean exactly?”

“Let’s just say you want to go back to your family.”

“I don’t have a family anymore. They all left me the day I stepped into this fortress.”

“You think so? What if they still expect you to come back?”

“Since when do you care, my Lord?”

Finally, Tasdar turned and looked Mellburn straight in the eye. Slowly walking around the room, he took his time to speak, as if trying to irritate the servant.

“Today is the day I’ve been waiting for,” he said, stopping in front of Mellburn.

“What are you trying to say?”

“The day will come soon when Ravenna will learn of my existence. Her powers have awakened, and I’ve finally managed to find her.”

“I’m delighted to hear that, my Lord,” the servant bowed once more. “Where has she been all this time?”

“With Lynn, Roger’s wife. But that’s not all. I know Agnese is with her too. What do you think about that?”

Mellburn stood speechless in front of Tasdar and didn’t know what to say. Is that true? Or was it some wicked plan in which he was involved again?

“Surprised, aren’t you?” Tasdar continued. “You can take her if you want, there’s no one stopping you, but you have to repay me for finding her.”

Mellburn stood still for a while, as if he had forgotten how to breathe, but eventually got a grip on himself.

“You know how much I love her, and you blackmailed me into serving you, my Lord, but I didn’t ask you to tell me where she is now.”

“You think you’re smarter than me?” the demon laughed. “If you were, you wouldn’t be serving me now. I know you don’t like this, but if you want to see Agnese, you’ll sacrifice another ten years of your life for me, deal?”

“Ten years?!” Mellburn couldn’t believe what he had just heard. “That information is worth that much?!”

“What did you expect? That I’d find your daughter and a simple ‘thank you’ would work a miracle?”