Chapter 34

Demiurge accompanied by a couple of high levels demons watched the ongoing battle. His crystalline eyes practically gleamed as he continued to observe. "Truly fascinating," — he noted as the battle raged on.

By now there was only two standing on the fields of madness, all others have perished or tried to evacuate only to be caught by his agents. It was a good idea to bring along the lords of sins for this mission. He cackled as the edges of his mouth curled up.

The elf fighting with weak 5th tier spells couldn't even wound the great beast as its tentacles flayed around causing destruction on a mass scale. Nevertheless, he admired the perseverance of the elf... it would be all the sweeter when the elf realized her folly.

Although, it was a monstrous creature Demiurge haven't had the pleasure of meeting, he was confident in his power to subdue it and use for his experiments.

It would, no doubt be a great addition to the forces of Nazarick.

He adjusted his glasses one final time before he made his entrance.

...

Demiurge froze.

He had chosen this moment in time to make his presence known and deepen the despair the pitiful lower life form was surely feeling. True to his estimations the woman did turn towards him for a split second, but there was no despair on her face. It was more like... resolve?

Demiurge wrinkled his brows as he felt his mood plummeting, but the next moment the smirk returned to his hellish visage as he saw the bleating creature stomping down on the elf.

Yes, let's see how long she can endure. — Demiurge thought cruelly. How long until she breaks?

...

What happened next left him flabbergasted.

{Veil of the Moon} An ethereal whisper entered his ears and for a moment the world ceased to exist.

A great shockwave exploded, and the great blackish monster was blown away along with the few remaining buildings in the vicinity. Demiurge hated to admit it, but for a moment he had to exert his strength to keep him in place. The obscuring cloud soon cleared and as the first rays of sun reflected from the golden object he instinctively fell to his knees.

Rivers of tears streamed down his face while his eyes stared steadily at the object. He couldn't understand it, this couldn't be possible. But here it was, the staff of Ainz Ooal Gown. The guild weapon, the ultimate symbol of power. The weapon that was meant to be wielded by none other than the overlord of death and leader of the forty-one supreme beings.

It was unimaginable how could a mere mortal touch it and not be immediately vaporized by the overwhelming power this supreme item carried. He felt dread rising as the weapon's aura expanded and soon familiar and unfamiliar spells exploded on the creature, beating it into submission.

{Shining Blast} {Fire Storm} {Crack in the ground} {Vermillion Nova}

The painful screeching of the creature did not escape the archdevil's notice, but he couldn't care less. He was focused solely on the item with all his being, it was a sign. A sign that the supreme ones have visited this world.

Them not being in possession of the item could also mean various things, like they have gifted it away after they made a more enchanting weapon fit to be wielded by the summit of existence.

He didn't dare think of the other possibility that would suggest that they have perished under inexplainable circumstances.

His eyes strayed to the wielder who seemingly controlled the staff with nothing but sheer willpower... no that wasn't right, Demiurge realized. As he took a closer look, he realized that it was more likely that the staff moved on its own, presumably under orders by the supreme ones' wills.

He was broken out of his train of thought when the monstrosity rose and shook off the debris. Although it was a sorry sight, it still was very much alive. As it lurched forward intent of ending the threat to its life Demiurge was blinded by the staff of power as seven gems shone brilliantly.

{Summon Primal Air Elemental} {Summon Primal Earth Elemental} {Summon Primal Fire Elemental} {Summon Primal Water Elemental} {Summon Primal Star Elemental} ...

Demiurge stood there in bewilderment as the monstrosity was tackled by the summons and finally its life was extinguished signaled by the black vapor rising from its corpse.

Finally, his search could begin in earnest. He had to tell the others about this, but first he would have to secure the staff. He summoned up his pride as a floor guardian and push himself forward.

...

Ellee let out her pent-up feelings in a long sigh as if to expel her exhaustion. It was a tough battle, which even though was a pain to admit, she would have lost if not for the support of his beloved.

Ainz had really thought about her, the staff which he had lent her would protect her he said, and this faithful day it did. She was relieved, for a moment there she thought that she might not see Ainz again, that she might lose her life before that happy time arrives, but now it was beyond of a shadow of a doubt that Ainz would not allow it.

However, it seemed her challenge was not yet over as she could feel a monstrous aura rising behind her. In its fierceness it was above that of the monster she or the staff had defeated just now. Although the monster was quite passive, destroying everything in its path, this new aura, this killing intent was focused solely on her.

Her legs might have given out under the pressure if it wasn't for the staff that she used to support herself with. She turned around and found the source of the malice.

A demon, huh what did she expect...

The fiend dressed in a crimson suit was trembling uncontrollably as its face contorted in contempt.

Not a moment has passed when time slowed to crawl as she saw the demon leaping for her. Her talent was an unusual one, it empowered her perception and accelerated her thought, although her body couldn't follow her commands fast enough, it had saved her in the past more than she would admit. Usually when she was in this state even the falling rain droplets would slow to a crawl, sometimes even stop midair, but the demon was still closing in on her at a frightening speed.

Having come up with no other solution, she called out in a panicking tone.

"S-stop!"

The golden staff glowed for a brief moment in her hand and to her great surprise the fiend came to an abrupt halt. Twitching as it may it did not take a single step forward.

She could hear faint snickering under the demon's nose before she heard it call out {Aspect of the devil: Demon Arm}. The fiend's arm expanded in size greatly as it reached for her however just when it was about to hit her an invisible barrier deflected the blow destroying the enhanced hand in the process. Flabbergasted, but in the know Ellee was confident that the staff would protect her.

She let herself relax a little before she called out.

"So..." Ellee started as she leaned onto the staff of Ainz Ooal Gown.

"...ready to talk?"

The demon grimaced grimly before he made a forceful nod.