Chapter 37

Azriel was not the only visitor I had through my time in the library.

I had another guest.

It was the earliest bit of the morning, the part where the sun has not yet risen and the sky is still immersed in darkness. I had been sleeping on one of the many chaises in the Library for Uncommon Magic, one of my favorite places to sleep, when he found me.

Though the Valley was not outdoors it did not change the fact that birds had found homes in the vast cavernous expanse. As the day itself awoke, so did the many birds, chirping pleasantly. I had spent the majority of my days within this hall waking up to these bird noises. Many scholars and visitors of the libraries went back home or to their sleeping arrangements after hours. Helion had offered me a room, but I had declined, choosing to sleep on whatever comfortable surface I found in the libraries. I had not yet developed the comfort of leaving this cozy place yet. I did not want to risk leaving the safety of the library.

The Library for Uncommon Magic was found not at the bottom, but near the bottom of the Valle. Typically, it was incredibly cool, the moisture of the stream would lick your skin in a chilling mist. However, now the air was much warmer. The atmosphere had not been this warm since I had arrived. This was a sure sign that seasons had come and gone, though I had no way of genuinely knowing how much time had passed.

I had spent my time here well. I had learned much and trained often. When I needed to eat I ate from the various food vendors spread throughout the Valley. In order to travel I used my tiny white boat to search through the never ending Valley of a Thousand Libraries. I had visited almost every single library thus far.

The vast amount of knowledge contained here was a great resource to keep my mind off of the anger I could nearly feel ebbing from the north. My father, I am sure, was trying to reach me, trying to reach my mind. But Helion was not named Spell-cleaver for nothing. He had strong magical wards surrounding the Valley of a Thousand Libraries. Spells that kept everyone, and their magic, away.

I spent my time searching through the books on magic, trying to find out anything regarding Dreamwalking. So far I was unsuccessful. However, I did find a spell that would have allowed someone to enchant an item to keep daemati powers at bay. I had quickly scanned the book, a brown leather covered tomb entitled 'enchanting the mundane'. I not only found a counter spell, but also began practicing enchanting an object to withstand the powers. The charm I chose was a golden crescent shaped necklace that Azriel had gifted to me on my birthday. I wasn't sure how he had known, but the gift had been appreciated. I had worn it every day, and now I believe it was charmed against daemati magic. However, I had yet to practice it on a victim.

This was one of my first discoveries of many. As each day passed I began to learn more and more, discovering ways to help my people. I didn't let a second go to waste. I found myself diving into tombs of magic and the history of the courts. There was an entire library dedicated to the Northern Territories and their history. I spent hours of my day consuming the tales of my forefathers, learning all about the treaties made between the Court of Nightmares and the Night Court. I read and reread the histories so many times I had nearly memorized them.

I even asked Helion if he could send some sentries to train with me. He obliged and when I wasn't reading I spent my days training my powers against and with them on the rocky stream covered floor of the Valley. We practiced combat and sometimes even used magic. I was able to hone my powers in a way that I had never been able to, needing them to work in fine, acute slices as opposed to broad sweeping strokes.

All of this training and learning made it all worth it.

Until, I received a visitor who reminded me what waited above.