Rubberband

Daisy's POV:

Much to my dismay...Pete and I have grown closer. I wouldn't say dismay...I don't know what you would call it. 

I wanted so desperately to be close to him, but the fear told me to stay away. But love conquers fear.

I sat here in my base barracks trying to keep myself occupied and not think of him. But it's hard to when your whole life revolves around him. A knock at my door stops me from my overthinking. Peeking through the hole I see Pete...fuck.

I open the door shyly. I was dressed in an oversized t-shirt and shorts, with no makeup, and my hair was in a messy bun. Definitely look like a wreck.

"What's up Pete? Everything okay?" I noticed his body language was slightly awkward and nervous. Now he was making me nervous.

"I uhh I brought over your favorite pizza..." He pulled one out from behind him opening it. It had pineapple...he knew me too well. "I figured we could hang out and eat and watch movies...You said you never saw cast away and I feel like it is absolutely necessary that you do" He said shyly. It made my heart swell. No one has ever done this for me.

"You had me at pizza"I smiled letting him in. Before I knew it we were on my couch, not even paying attention to the movie, laughing and talking. I had my legs draped across his. We talked about everything you could think of.

I could feel myself unintentionally leaning closer.

"So tell me, what was little Daisy like" Mav said as he placed a strand of my hair behind my ear. This made me smile and blush like a mad man. and yet closer I got.

"Oh I was your typical loner. Total nerd, no one wanted to hang out with me. Spent way too much time concerned about my next exam, my next match and not enough time about having friends and a life. I had my team, but even then I had been isolated. My parents weren't really around so I had to grow up fast. I guess I was always meant to be alone. Left for the naval academy the second I graduated." I spoke honestly, it was so easy to talk to Mav.

Don't do this to yourself, Daisy. At any point, he could be hurt and you could lose him. Then you'll lose someone you loved again. 

We were like rubber bands. No matter how hard I tried to pull away he shot me back to him. And I didn't mind...

"I would have given you every moment Daisy," Pete said leaning in...I was leaning in too. Before I knew it our lips connected. The feeling was indescribable...I absolutely craved it. It was everything. The kiss began to get heated. Before I knew it I was straddling his waist.

Then the thought hit me. This is Mav...the ladies' man. he could do so much better...this is probably just a hit-and-run for him...but would he do that to me?

What if I loose him up there? How could I recover from that?

I reluctantly pulled away suddenly consumed with fear.

"Daisy what's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" Mav said suddenly concerned. I got up and put spaces between us. I had to be honest.

"This means something totally different to me than you Mav"

"What do y-" 

"Pete I'm in love with you, and I know for you this is supposed to be a one-time fling that doesn't happen ever again. But my heart can't take that!" I practically yelled at him. He didn't deserve that but my emotions were all over.

"Daisy are you serious right now?! this is not a one-time thing! God dammit Daisy I love you and I want to be with you" Those words caused me to melt. I stood there shocked but so overcome with emotion.

"Pete...I need you to leave"

"What why? Daisy, we need to talk about this"

"No! The feelings I have for you trump every feeling I have ever had...Every day at work our lives are on the line...If I lost you that would be it. There's no coming back for me..." It was true. This feeling was too much.

"Daisy we both are amazing pilots, we have each other's backs. Nothing will happen" Mav said grabbing my face. I leaned my head against his.

"Just please Pete, I need time," I said pulling away. The look on his face broke me but I had to protect him and myself.

Without a word he left. I sunk to the floor. Did I make the right decision?

Mavericks POV:

Walking to my room I felt so numb. I was so elated to hear she loved me because I loved her too...but she's pushing me away...

I don't get it. But I do. She made such great points but I didn't want that to take her away from me.

How could I even focus on the mission tomorrow with all this weighing on my chest...

Penny, Charlie, Laura...all the other girls along the way...none of them made me feel even half of what Daisy makes me feel. I can't let her go.