01

«Michelle»

Eight billion population as of now reported. And here I am stuck with this one stupid person who got fifteen thousand ways to mess with me in a second. "Can you just tell me how it's done without giving me bullshit?" I snapped at him gaining the attention of the librarian and other student into the library. She glared at me over the rim of her spectacles. I silently apologized as everyone went back to doing their work. "Maintain silence, Ms. Kane. Have some patience." Cruz smirked. If I was anywhere but the library I would have smacked his annoying face. I don't even know why I am here, talking to him.

"I am still trying to recover from the fact that THE GODDESS MICHELLE, a walking source of knowledge, approached me for a basic math equation." He leaned back in his chair raising a brow. He was mocking me. His body language gave it away. "Are you trying to flirt with me, Michelle?" I fist my hands, take a deep breath and remind myself that it is illegal to murder someone in the middle of a silent library. Too many witnesses.

It's legal if there are no witnesses.

This shouldn't have been a big deal. We often take help of our classmates if we get stuck somewhere in the middle, don't we?

But it was, because Cruz wasn't just a classmate.

"Listen, if you don't want to help me then say no to my face. No need to waste my time." I snatched away my notebook from his hands and stood up from the chair beside him. I walked out of the library and heard Cruz following me shortly.

"Okay okay! Wait shawty." That bitch. With one long step, he was beside me and walking at the same pace as me. I fastened my step trying to get away from him.

"What would I get in return if I help you with that childish math question?" I scoffed shrugging my shoulders. "Nothing. Because I don't want your help anymore." I was already regretting walking up to him with the fakest smile plastered over my face and asking for help. I should have known better. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I was drunk or high.

Cruz is a monster.

Cruz is nothing but a devil in disguise. Not even in disguise anymore. He had been a sweet innocent kid when I first met him but now that we have been together in the same class for a year I was aware of his true self. Sometimes, I laugh at myself for the impression I had of him.

Strangely, I was the only person who saw what he hid beneath all those charming muscles and endearing face.

"C'mon. It would be embarrassing to ask anyone else. Imagine, the great Michelle, the topper, the a-grade student, the smart girl, not being able to solve a question as simple as that." He tsked walking with his hands in his pocket. Every word of praise that left his mouth stung in my heart like an insult. Because it was.

I hated his tone. That specific tone he used to downgrade me. I clenched my jaw stopping in my tracks. He stopped as well.

"Stop talking to me and fuck off. My mistake was that I thought you'd help me because I did too. Once," This entire argument is baseless. Most of our arguments are baseless.

He gave me an amused look. I was afraid if I breathed in his presence a second more I'd end up strangling him to the ground. Ignore the fact, I'm half his size.

"I did not know you kept a record of times you have helped someone. It would be easy for you though. You hardly help anyone." And that was the problem.

We have known each other for over 365 days now and he knew exactly what to say to hurt me where I am sensitive.

"Are you saying that I am a bad person with no sense of empathy?" I snapped. He chuckled looking down at me. He was always looking down at me as if to show me that he was the superior one and held the power. The praises for me from his mouth were his mockeries. His favorite way to throw insults at me.