07

||Three hours ago||

«Michelle»

"Are you preparing for something? You read so many books these days about... You know... World affairs and stuff. " The girl who worked alongside the librarian, Joyce asked.

She is my classmate. I haven't seen her since long. She haven't been to classes in two months.

Yeah, I might look like someone who didn't give a fuck about people around her but I was observant. Besides, I know her because she is different from everybody else.

"Yes... Uh, I am... I am representing our scho—country in KIL," I hesitated. Her tone was too friendly and I was so used to fakeness that it was hard talking to normal people.

"Wow! That's great. Congratulations." She stood up from her chair shaking my hand excitedly.

I awkwardly smiled nodding my head. I wiped my hands on side of my dress taking a step back so cautiously that she doesn't notice.

It's uncomfortable. Whenever someone touches me I can feel bugs crawling over my skin and it's frustrating.

"I was out of town for two months. My father died so there were a lot of things among the family to take care of. That's why I didn't know anything. Wow, no one even updated me with something so important."

Her tone...

Something was wrong with her tone.

She so casually mentioned her father's death. I grew even more awkward. She is very different.

Having no idea how to respond I stood there like a fool fidgeting with my skirt.

"I am... I am so sorry... About your father." I needed to work on my conversation skills.

I should start talking to more people.

Yeah, no thanks.

Look, I am really good at talking considering it should be a small talk.
Besides, this topic we are talking about sounds a lot sensitive to me.

"Oh no that's alright. He was a shitty person anyways." She waves her hand in the air carelessly.

Oh.

Oh.

I don't know how to react. I don't even know what to say next.

"Are you going home now?" Joyce asks. I am relieved I didn't have to react to that.

"Yes, I am tired." She nods her head but then her eyes widen. With a bright smile on her face she walks around the table to stand a feet away from me.

"Wait a minute. I'll be right back." She rushes towards the bookshelves. I frown crossing my arms defensively.

"Please don't go," She shouted from the distance disappearing between the shelves.

"Yes, okay!" Why was I so awkward? This is so not like me.

I can talk, you know. But if I think about it, how many people do I even talk to? Teachers and Cruz... Sometimes my parents. That's it. And yeah my brother too.

That's a long list.

Joyce returns five minutes later. I am sitting on her chair scrolling through my phone when she drops three books on the desk.

"Here take these. I bet you haven't read them. They'll be super helpful." I stood up looking at the books.

Yes, never read them before.