06

«Cruz»

"The winner is Team Stick Sharks!"

"Best player in all of Texas, Cruz Parks!"

"Cruz! Cruz! Cruz! Cruz! Cruz! Cruz!"

"You're the best captain, Cruz! We are lucky to have you. Really."

"Captain Cruz, a big salute for keeping us all together."

"Cruz is our strength."

"One day, I want to watch you playing the internationals. I'll be the proudest coach."

"Cruz is ruthless on the ice rink."

"We believe in you, Cruz!"

"Your eyes come alive when you play. Don't ever let anyone snatch this from you."

"OH MY GOD! You'll be playing in the internationals."

"The injury is serious. It's impossible for you to participate in the game. It will take time to heal."

"We can't do this alone. We need you Captain."

"Your life is more important than your dream, Cruz. Choose yourself."

"As a coach, I feel your pain. I am so sorry. Please, don't give up. You have a long life ahead. If not this, then something else."

But my life was my game. And it has ended. Do I even want to live without this dream?

I punched the punching bag harder holding it from hitting my face. Droplets of sweat fell on the ground. I panted punching the bag over and over again until my knuckles were bruised.

"Man, you need to stop." Dean stood on the door holding a water bottle in his hands.

I threw one last punch before walking back to grab the towel. Dean walked closer handing me the bottle.
I gulped down the liquid in one go tossing it on the table.

I press my hands on the desk dropping my head between my shoulders.

"Is this about..." He sighs refusing to complete the sentence. Dean follows me to the balcony. He leans over the grill looking down at the passing by cars.

I stare into nothingness with that empty feeling consuming me.

The sword stuck in my chest twists and buries itself deeper.

"The team misses you," He says breaking the silence. He looks at me. I look away not meeting his eyes.

"I am sure you're leading it well. Nothing would have changed."

He clicks his tongue turning around and crossing his arms over his chest. I can feel his gaze on me. I just know the look of pity on his face.

"No Cruz, it's not the same. I may lead it. Anybody can. But for you, our team was your family. You loved the team like no one did. We'll never have a leader as good as you."