11

«Michelle»

"Nah, that's it! I am taking you to my home. There we'll do something fun else we'll go somewhere out." Joyce drags me out of the school pushing me inside her car. She's not ready to hear another word so I quit arguing.

She's been insisting for a hangout since last week and I've been delaying it but today she's finally had enough.

I am being kidnapped.

I have never done friendships and hangouts so it's all new to me.

"Okay, Ma'am." She starts the engine pulling out the car from the parking.

"Who all do you have at home?" I ask thirty seconds into the drive.
I realize that there is so much we have to know about each other.

"For now, only a bitch brother. Mom is out for a vacation," I can barely contain my reaction.
Before I can mask it, Joyce notices the shock on my face.

I can't say I am not judging at this point. She and her family looks too comfortable with her father's death.

"Yeah, it's kind of normal in my house. We all have been anticipating my father's death. I am happy my mother is finally having some time all by herself. I even told her she should hook up or something," She had such a big smile on her face while speaking that it was hard to digest the fact that she was talking about her blood father.

It made me wonder how bad a person could be for her daughter to smile over his death.

And did she just say that she wants her mother to hook up?

Mother to hook up.

We both are two polar opposite people. How am I even friends with her?

I remained silent for a long time while she bobbed her head with the song murmuring the lyrics.

"What's your story, Joyce?" I asked, not because I was curious but because I felt like maybe she needed someone to hear the words she has buried deep inside her heart.

Her eyes told cruel stories but her smile hid them all.

She glanced at me with the same wide smile.

"What story?" I kept staring at her.

Maybe it was too soon.

We just met and I do not expect her to open up to me.

I looked away shaking my head.

"Nothing," The next song Better than Revenge by Taylor Swift stopped Joyce
from speaking further.

We shared a look before the song blasted in the car on full volume and we screamed our lungs out.

The rest of the drive was filled with Joyce's perfect playlist and I've never loved a drive more than this.

"You are a wonderful singer," Joyce swung her arm around my shoulders as we crossed her front yard.

In front of me was a mansion worth millions of dollars. It was no surprise. I have seen plenty of them.

But what actually surprised me were seven highly expensive cars lined up in the porch and three sports bike of stunning colors. This was the real beauty.