04

«Cruz»

I know how to make the most of a situation. An eye for an eye. Help for help.

That's why I found myself sitting on the floor between the bookshelves of the huge vintage-styled library in the middle of the night while Michelle's voice filled my ears.

She called me at 4 in the evening and canceled our study session because of personal reasons.

I agree I am a shitty human but I am not that bad.

So, I told her to steal some time from her sleeping hours. After all, a deal is a deal.

Hear the Sarcasm there?

Michelle couldn't have refused to it. She is a woman of words.

Besides, no one cancels on me. Everything goes on my own accord. If I want someone to do something for me, I get them to do it, by hook or by crook.

History wasn't even that big of a deal but making Michelle do something she'd kill not to do? Yes, of course, that's exactly why I was in the freaking library so late at night.

She yawned silently, trying her best to keep her eyes open. She looked exhausted. She could use some rest.

Poor thing!

"Are you even listening to me, Cruz?" She lifted her head from the book she grabbed from one of the shelves claiming that it was one of the best guidebooks. I did not try to hide the fact that I was staring at her.

"Yeah, continue." I looked into the book leaning down. My head was a little too close to hers so I pulled away. "This battle... I'll highlight it. It's very important...." I again lose track of what she is saying.

I look at her instead. Silky black hair tied up in a bun neatly, eyes as blue as the deepest of oceans and the bluest of skies. Her eyes are most catchy feature. They are blue.

Almost always blue.

Her thin lips, pink covered in clear gloss. And her nose. It's almost perfectly shaped.

This was starting to feel a little too intimate.

Our relationship wasn't like this.

We didn't do late-night library study sessions. We didn't even look at each other with anything but hatred. We barely tolerated each other's presence and yet the universe aligned strangely.

She was the person I most interacted with after Dean, my best friend. I have always been a little bitter to people. I act nice when I have to but besides that I liked to mind my own business and loved it when other people did that too.

However, when it comes to Michelle, I am not the Cruz I am with everyone.

There's something about Michelle. It could be her blue eyes. It could be her mouth that opens to challenge me and insult. No one dares talk to me like that. It could also be her hands that wouldn't fear to strangle me to death. Or it could be her passion towards me.

But something about her made her so different from others.

I think it has everything to do with the fire inside her. She is that star in the sky that has burnt for the longest time.