Chapter 3

The sun was shining like a bright fireball, tearing through the peaceful silence in the playground. The children were asleep huddled in a corner of the grass, smiling from their fantasized dreams, wondering what will happen when they wake up. Tomorrow will be their favourite day of the week, when the play structure will change again, becoming something new, becoming the beginning of another adventure. This happened every week for the past, seemingly infinite amount of years, but the kids all knew that that's not the case, they were just too lazy to count. The tree that they used to keep track of the date is tattered and peeling, the engraved marks were fading, blending into each other. They only knew what year it is because their birthdays were always celebrated, an insignificant event in their utopian world. Nothing mattered in their paradise. They've been in this paradise for ten full years.

------

Eliza woke to the warm sun, like every other day, and looked around. Her bright blue eyes seeking change. Erica was still lying beside her, holding out her pinkie as if their promise needed to be reinforced. Eliza chuckled, Erica has been her older sister for ten years, and that was not something that would ever go away. She hooked their pinkies together nonetheless, and gently shook the sleeping girl awake. Erica yawned, rubbing her wrist on her eyes, and gently scolded Eliza for waking her, making both of them smile.

"Look Erica! We get a spiral slide this week too! It looks just like the one from when we just came!"

Erica looked at the structure, first curious then shocked.

It was the exact same playground as the one she looked at ten years ago.