Chapter 5

Eliza never knew what hit her. She was just admiring the playground and then... Then she was pinned to the grass, her whole torso burning like the rage that overwhelmed Erica when she saw what happened. All she could do was stare at the sky, the same sky that has been above their heads since the first time they've been here. But never before was the sky so grim, so ugly. Patches of black spotted the clear blue, drifting to and fro. They could be birds, but why would there be birds in the paradise that only belonged to the ten of them? Was she hallucinating? Was she going to pass out? Was she going crazy?

Erica stared at her little-sister-in-name, too shocked to do anything. The dagger was stuck perfectly beneath the rib cage, right where the stomach would have been. There was only a little blood, from the initial contact of the small sword, piercing through her most important person in the world. She couldn't think. Her head hurt. Her mind was going to blow up. She was going to die when her sister dies. She can't die. Neither of them can die. She can't let her sister die. No, nobody that she cares about can ever die. So she did the only thing that she can think of.

She pulled out the dagger.

Erica was frantic, she can't think of a way to help her little sister any more. How could she close the wound? How could Eliza get better? She touched the wound with her fingers, praying that she could close the cut if she squeezed hard enough. Warm blood stained her hands, flowing between her fingers, smearing over Eliza's favourite shirt. The blood dyed the grass, blossoms of red spotting the perfect shade of green. The flowers kept on blooming, dominating the grass, covering anything else that can be seen, contaminating the paradise they lived in. But that was ok, anything was ok if Eliza would get better. She would get better right?

Then Eliza coughed. she coughed out blood.