Chapter 10

It was an eerie silence, there was no wind, no movement, not even any breathing to break the spell. The nine remaining children stared, as if their bodies were chained to that single motion, unmoving. As much as their minds repelled the facts before them, they could not stop staring. Because it was too much for them to understand.

"This is her ending." Julie said, taking in a deep breath. She hated to admit it, but even she can't decipher the meaning behind such a normal number. Did it represent the ten children, the ten years they've spent here, or the ten souls, one already lost. She've seen a lot of deaths in her life, but never before were they human. She've studied life and death like none would, just to reach a proper answer for something a living person cannot explain, but she can't explain this, or what it means.

Nobody else made a sound, seemingly to keep their pain to themselves, but that really was no the case, everybody was feeling the same thing. The twins were staring blankly into the woods, where they used to build forts with Eliza. Elena had tears threatening to spill behind her glasses. Sofie and Felix, being supportive siblings, squeezed each other's hands when the pain washes over. But still, nobody dared to look at Erica.

As if in sync, their vision went blank, into a deep, never-ending darkness.

Then they were dragged away.