Chapter 9

The corpse wasn't removed the day after, leaving the playground in a monotone grey, dulling all the vibrant colours draping over the playground. It was like a curtain, finally pulled open to reveal the broken core of this world. 

But there was nothing to do except to move on. 

All day, the children remain huddled in a circle, as far away from the corpse as they can get, not saying a word. Most of them were staring at the ground, mouth sealed shut, not daring to look at the rest, especially Erica. 

She did not take the death well.

She was staring at her hands, still not washed, mouth gaping with terror. But she was not seeing. Her eyes were unfocused, filled with the dried tears that she did not have the strength to cry out. Just looking at her made the everyone else uneasy. 

She was in that position ever since she returned from the forest. Not dead, but not living either. 

Seth was the first to break the silence in a long time,"Why don't we give her a funeral?"

Everyone looked up from their place in the circle, surprised to hear the coarse, unused voice, including Erica. She looked around, seemingly surprised of her current zombie status, then fell back into grief. She stood up with everybody else, and starred walking, dreading to see the remains of her little sister. Though she did not know if she could be considered as the girl's older sister anymore.

The children walked over to the bottom of the spiral slide, bracing themselves for the scene that awaited them. But they never saw it. 

In place of Eliza, there was a number, written in blood.

10. 

---------------

Authors note:

Yay the story's finally back! So happy. Anyways, from now on, I'll (Elaine'll) be the only one writing, since Sophia is busy with other projects that are a lot more important and needs a lot more time. The story might not be as gruesome as Sophia first promised but I'll try my best. Hopefully it'll live up to Sophia's standards. 

Please, if you want to read Sophia's work, go to her personal account, her account is currently called Ephemeral_Love. She has a great short story called Demons in Paradise. My account is currently called InEclipse and I have a random story about music. 

Thanks for reading!