Chapter 37

Rose finished clearing out the city with the rest of the hunters, Avalon, Avalar and all the others. Minerva agreed to take all of the prisoners to Augerheim where they would be imprisoned and treated civily, or put to death if they so chose. The rest of the Daybreakers scattered to the winds, leaving everyone to put the city back together themselves.

Anikke, Serana and Jade were instrumental in the rebuilding process. Their magic basically put the buildings back together as though nothing had happened to them, but they could only do a few buildings at a time before they became exhausted. Shana helped this process sometimes, but she and Sarah were mostly with Alice.

True to her word, Peredite regrew Aviri's arm with some kind of magic. Veroncia was furious at Aviri's recklessness and scolded her teacher like she was the professor, though Aviri just found it amusing.

Kira couldn't stop hugging Myra and Alison, like she thought she was going to loose her entire family that day and couldn't help but be happy about it. Myra thought it was really annoying at first, but after realizing that Alice was mentally destroyed, she was grateful her mother didn't actually die.

Rose used whatever influence she could to get as much help to rebuild the village as possible, and with everything that happened, more people were flooding in from all corners of Exodious to help build it up, with some offering to stay here and make it an even more prosperous city than it was.

Alice was laying in the shallow water of the indoor garden with her head resting on Sarah's lap while the human ran her fingers through Alice's hair with a soft smile. The two of them were practically whispering to each other, just trying to let the moment pass between them.

"What did you see?" Sarah asked.

"When I died?"

"Was it a white light?"

"No. It was blue." Alice answered. "Then I saw the vision again. The prophecy that was supposedly about Myra. But it didn't show her attacking anyone, and I knew it wasn't about her. She was the event on the timeline that marked this happening, but she didn't want it."

"One often meets their fate on the path to avoid it." Sarah noted.

"He wanted so desperately to avoid his own death, yet it was his own fault it happened." Alice sighed deeply.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm as good as I'm going to be for a while. I feel more at peace than I have been, but I still feel like I'm broken."

"You've always been broken Alice." Sarah chuckled softly, getting Alice to chuckle herself, though it was a soft, dry chuckle, like she was laughing, just to laugh. However, it was a welcomed change. It made her seem more human. Like she had found a piece of herself that was missing and had repaired a hole.

"I suppose that's true."

Sarah placed a hand over Alice's eyes. "What did you see after? What did you wake up to? You said you didn't see her. Your mother?"

Alice sighed. "She wasn't there waiting for me like I thought she would be. Instead, it was a bluebird."

"But that's your mother's symbol."

"I thought so too. But it was flying away from me. Like... it didn't want to be found."

"I suppose... We'll have to find out in the future."

"Mom?" Shana called as she stood up from rock she was sitting on before stepping into the water and moving to kneel beside her parents. Alice gently removed Sarah's hand before she sat up to face her daughter. "Agora said the power you used was impossible. That you shouldn't have been able to touch his armor or summon that light. Then he said you got it from her, and that she wasn't human."