4. Hua Cheng makes a suggestion

On the day after, he left his room at 7:45 as usual – he'd then grab some strong black coffee before going to the Control Room – he met Hua Cheng outside, leaving the shower. He was amazed he'd wake up that early, less than 24 hours after arriving, even if he didn't experience space sickness at all. But what called Xie Lian's attention most of all was something else.

He had only a towel wrapped around his waist – of course he'd had to be physically fit to go on a Moon mission, but that guy was underwear model fit. His skin was white and unblemished, firm and soft-looking, and all muscles on his upper body super defined: arms, shoulders, chest, abs.

There's no way this guy has ever slacked off on his workouts! Xie Lian felt his face burning, and thought he better avoid to look at his lower body.

"Hum, ah good morning", he said with an awkward smile, "You're already up".

"Morning", Hua Cheng smiled back, not looking sleepy at all. He was of course dry, only his hair slightly damp. "Yes, I slept quite well under those weighted blankets".

"And the silence here is nice too, even with the occasional Moonquakes", Xie Lian said, then added, "Well, I'll be on -1. Give a shout if you want me to show you around the kitchen, or the gym, or if you need anything..."

"I will, thanks", he replied, showing the communicator on his wrist – it looked like a slim silver bracelet through which he could speak straight to Xie Lian, anywhere on the Moon's surface.

Xie Lian nodded and left. He started his day running the station's readings: oxygen levels, water, temperature – following strict procedures: if anything showed any decrease on its ideal levels, he'd immediately take action. He had to report to Wenchang every morning too.

The day went by and he didn't see Hua Cheng again, except briefly at the kitchen when he had finished eating and Hua Cheng walked in. It was the same on the following days: Hua Cheng seemed to be pretty independent, finding his way around the lab, the gym, the kitchen – anywhere really.

Xie Lian didn't mind, and they had the communicators anyway – they exchanged a hi here and there, so this reminded Xie Lian he wasn't alone. He was truly amazed at this guy: he usually had to do a lot of showing around to newbies – the training on Earth covered only the Controls. Hua Cheng seemed to have a knack of knowing how things worked.

'He'd make a great station manager', he thought, maybe he'd suggest it, who knows it could be a new career path right there. 'But he wouldn't want to stay here, like me'. He was surprised: it was the first time he wondered about other people really, and he hardly spoke to the guy!

A few weeks later, he was leaving the gym after his workout, all sweaty, his white t-shirt wet even, and Hua Cheng was outside at the lab door, waiting for him.

"Gege", he said, and Xie Lian blinked – he had forgotten that silly nickname, not realising Hua Cheng intended to keep calling him like that. Well it was too late now.

"Hua Ch – ", but Hua Cheng interrupted him, "I prefer you call me San Lang", and smiled.

"Right. San Lang. Sorry I'm all sweaty and stinky. Was my workout noisy, did I disturb you or – "

"No not at all. I just wanted to speak to you", he said. Xie Lian suddenly felt self-conscious of his looks, that nearly transparent t-shirt: Hua Cheng was looking.

"Oh? What is it, is everything alright? Do you need anything?", Xie Lian asked.

"No no all is well", he replied, "Please Gege I hope you don't feel pressured or uncomfortable in any way". He chewed on his words, "Listen, doesn't the Moon Station crew have dinner together, ever?"

"Oh", Xie Lian was puzzled, and replied, "Not really. Before there was a need of people on shifts, and now, well, the station runs itself, kind of, but...", he smiled awkwardly, "I like to cook, to try new ingredients and recipes, but it's not everyone's thing. So".

At least not Feng Xin and Mu Qing's, and they were less polite about it – they bluntly said Xie Lian's food was bad, and refused to eat anything, or even take part on his cooking sessions. But then, the ready-food The Agency sent just needed boiling water, and it was delicious, AND healthy – it was specially developed for the Moon Station crew.

Hua Cheng replied, as if reading his thoughts, "Your food can't be that bad, and cooking is part of the fun isn't it? Putting boiling water in a pot is so boring, no matter how good the food is..."

Xie Lian felt cornered. "Hum", he said, "I'll have a shower then start cooking. If you want to come..."

Hua Cheng looked delighted, and replied, "Really, would you cook for both of us?"

"You don't have to eat my food just to be polite you know", Xie Lian said. He had developed a thick skin about his cooking throughout the years.

"I'd love to try Gege's food. Alright, I'll finish off what I'm doing and join you". He waved, and left.

Xie Lian pursed his lips, thinking of a few negative reactions to his food in the past. Well, he shrugged, he didn't really know this guy, his opinion shouldn't matter much, right? Then he walked downstairs to the shower, thinking what he should cook for Hua Cheng.

Hua Cheng underwear model fit? Go on, tell me more. 😜

Please vote, comment, follow me...