1. Going back to Earth, staying behind

"Cheers guys", Xie Lian said, smiling brightly and lifting his water glass, "Have a safe trip back to Earth".

Feng Xin and Mu Qing replied, "Cheers", clinking glasses, and the three of them had a sip.

Then Feng Xin commented, "Ugh, they could send some proper drinks for us to have sometimes? It's not like anyone would get drunk while at the fucking Moon Station..."

"You would", Mu Qing pointed out, "You'd start with a drink on a special occasion such as now, and before we knew you'd be driving the rover madly around the nearest crater, singing like a maniac – most likely on the same radio frequency as Wenchang, to make things worse".

Wenchang, the main ground control! Mu Qing and Xie Lian laughed loudly: Feng Xin would totally do that! They've known one another for a long time, since the astronautics graduate program. Xie Lian would go on breaking all records in missions as station manager while Feng Xin and Mu Qing's missions were in their areas of expertise: systems engineering and biomedical sciences.

Feng Xin opened his mouth to protest angrily, but Mu Qing quickly changed the subject, "Anyway, Xie Lian, you take care too. Remember you're already stretching your stay, make sure you send me your health readings daily. Blood sample readings too".

"I will", he said with a smile – he knew he was a case study for Mu Qing.

In six months' time, Xie Lian would complete a total of three years straight staying on the Moon; not ideal, and reaching the National Space Administration Agency – or simply "The Agency" – legal mandate for how long someone can stay on space. Its effects on the human body, specially on gravity difference were still being studied.

He looked no different than anyone on Earth though, healthy enough at least: tall, slender but muscular and good-looking, with bright honey eyes and light brown hair in a curtain cut, thanks to Mu Qing's unexpected talent as an amateur hairdresser. And his smile made anyone melt.

Feng Xin and Mu Qing looked good too: one tall and well-built with beautiful amber eyes and dark brown hair, the other slender, pale with sharp blue eyes and black hair. The three of them used to be a sight for sore eyes when they hang around at Wenchang Base, where they trained.

"In my opinion you shouldn't stay, but you volunteered, so...", Feng Xin added, frowning.

"Feng Xin, you know why", Xie Lian replied, "He Xuan had an accident and broke his arm. And the other station manager they have only trained on Earth, they can't send him with another newbie, that'd be too risky – for them, and for the operations."

"It's shocking they only have a handful of trained station managers", Mu Qing snorted, "AND they only train them on the controls, not to actually live on the Moon, at 1.62G!"

"Yeah they have to come here, that's the only proper training you can get", Xie Lian agreed.

"And sending one guy only, that's fucking...", Feng Xin added.

"Reckless", Mu Qing completed, "What happened to that rule of always having three people on the Moon Station at least?"

"They claim the station is so automatised and able to be run remotely that they don't really need two managers", Xie Lian replied, "Which is technically correct", he shrugged.

The Moon Photovoltaic Powerplant Station started being built back in 2040 – it was pretty far-fetched at the time, with the first Moon landings operated by The Agency only around the 2030s, but with the Earth's ever-growing energy demand, some creative thinking was needed.

Thanks to its lack of atmosphere while being constantly exposed to sunlight – with the exception of a rare eclipse – the Moon seemed ideal to harness solar power. It'd take huge amounts of funding and resources to implement it, but it'd produce clean energy, virtually forever.

So a huge belt of solar panels was built around the Moon's equatorial circumference of 10,917km, harnessing solar energy and sending it back in microwave form to several reception station around the Earth, supplying the needed 20 terawatts a year. By 2050 the Moon Ring was fully operational, and The Moon Station – at 50% of its current layout – being manned at all times.

"Even if they need less people managing the station, they're still using it as a model to potential space colonies or something. How to make it self-sufficient, living on space environment and so on", Mu Qing continued, "So sending just one researcher...", he snorted.

"He's a biochemist, right? Have you met him before?", Feng Xin asked.

Xie Lian shook his head, "No, he trained at the Jiuquan base, and it's his first time on the Moon".

"Tell you what", Feng Xin went on, "He's got guts to come up on his own, and on his first time too".

"Why, even if he does have to do a manual landing, it's not that hard", Mu Qing said.

"It can be tricky", Feng Xin, who had done a manual landing before said, "I know I was fucking scared. Anyway, Xie Lian, I hope he's a nice guy", he concluded.

Xie Lian shrugged again, "It's not that I socialise much around here. Except with you guys", he quickly added.

He looked friendly but was in fact detached, keeping himself to himself most of the time, no one knowing what was on his mind – not even Feng Xin and Mu Qing, who could be considered at a stretch his closest friends. He's always been like that, in his own world.

"Xie Lian, you're weird", Mu Qing concluded, "I know if it was up to you you'd just stay here by yourself. But in six months", he pointed a finger at him, "You better be back on Earth, or – "

Xie Lian pffted a laugh, "I have to, don't I?", and added, "Alright let's get some sleep. Big day for you guys tomorrow!"

Thanks for reading, here our sci-fi Hualian begins... 😉

Please vote, comment, follow me.