Interlude

(ARTWORK DONE BY COSMIXVOID ON REDDIT)

   The darkness slowly took hold of me; the tendrils wrapped around my neck, pulling me closer to a black sea. The world around me is entirely black, but I can make out the rustling of water beneath me. What do you think when you see me? A voice called out; it sounded lifeless and damped, yet acquainted with me.

   Don't judge me; I'm doing my best. The voice parrots back to itself. I feel my back hit the water; its frigid fluid cocoons my body before a violent jerk drags me under the water. I shut my eyes and struggle to breathe; I flail in the water until my body becomes listless. I want to see before I die, but as I accept death, I discern air rejoining my lungs. I let my eyes flutter open, I expected to feel a sting in my eyes, but it never came. I could determine I was still under the liquid, but it acted like nothing I knew. The liquid was clear; I could see for what appeared like miles. It also functioned like air, I could breathe it, and the tides were now above me. As I looked at the waves, I could see myself or a black-and-white rendition. I appeared younger, with shorter hair and more chub to my cheeks, and I still had both eyes green. It stared back at me with slight amusement, it looked innocent and pure, but I kept my guard up.

   The younger me started to twitch violently. Misery took hold of its youthful face. Its right half slowly grew and changed into a dark-green bunny creature. Its ears protruded through the front of its head, its mouth looked fused and constructed of iron, and its fur looked tattered and abused. It seemed strangely human; it looked taller than the 'child' me. The one eye I could see was white and murky, and regardless of the build, it was skinny and lean, abnormally for its size.

   Why couldn't my life be easy? The voice said, but this time it came from the bunny man. The depressing voice of the bunny sounded precise in the liquid prison entrapping me.

   That's because mine is a test, and maybe I'm broken completely. I'm always so fucking depressed. It echoes a response to itself as the bunny slowly grows and takes over the innocent version. Once nothing is left, it only laughs, but it's devoid of joy and sounds sickeningly sad.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

   Welcome to the nightmare.