Chapter Three

Wednesday, May 20th

"I'll be back in five minutes." He had said the night he left. TRY FIVE WEEKS! I wasn't angry with him, not one bit. Because he came back. He really came back.

... ... ...

"It's bigger on the inside!" I shouted, stepping into the blue box the doctor called the TARDIS. It had been a little over a month since the last time I saw him.

"That's what everyone says." I heard his voice laughing from behind me as a took in my surroundings. This was far beyond any sort of technology I'd ever seen. In the middle, a huge rod shot up to the ceiling, glowing light blue. The floor beneath me rattled as the doctor pulled levers and pressed buttons, then our eyes met. "Hold on to something." He warned, pulling the last one of his levers.

The entire room shook and I fell on to the rail behind me. "Where are we going?" I shouted over the loud noise the TARDIS made.

"Everywhere!" He yelled back.

Within only a few minutes (which could be months back home) we had landed and I couldn't wait to see where we were. The doctor held out his hand to me. I took it and we ran to the door.

I couldn't believe my eyes. It was beautiful. Earth, like I'd never seen it before. I was looking down at Earth! And beyond that were stars and all the colours you could imagine! I WAS IN OUTER SPACE!

"This is..." I began, not able to find a word.

"Fantastic!" The doctor finished for me.

I grinned and he did the same in return. Sitting down on the edge of the doorway, he looked up and gestured for me to place myself beside him. Very nervously, I crouched down and let my lags hang over the edge. It was like dipping your feet into a swimming pool only... It was outer space.

"Is this a good enough picnic spot for you?" He wondered and pulled towards him, the basket I'd brought, filled with two sandwiches, some fruit, and a bag of Doritos.

"Absolutely!" I almost cried it was so gorgeous. I could barely take my eyes off of it. The whole galaxy right before me.

I felt the doctor nudge me, handing me half of a diagonally-sliced BLT sandwich. I took a bite and continued looking at the pure amazement. Every time I did, I would find something new to be fascinated with. Looking over at the man beside me, who was interested in his sandwich, I asked him one simple question. "Who are you, really?"

He looked at me, obviously not expecting my question. "I'm the doctor, I told you that." His accent made me smile.

"... but you never told me where you came from." I continued to ask. He put down his sandwich and looked at his hands. They were clasped in his lap.

"I'm from the planet Gallifrey. I'm a Time Lord."

"What's that?"

He gestured to himself. "Me! I travel through time and space." His goofy smile was contagious.

"So there's more of your kind?" I wondered.

His facial expression sank to none. "No..." He said quietly. "I'm the last."

"So you must get pretty lonely then?"

"Well, I usually find people much like you, who travel with me." He gazed out at the beauty in front of us, an asteroid zooming by.

I dared to ask more. "Well... Where are they now?"

The doctor exhaled. "I lost them."

I swallowed hard, not knowing what he mean by lost. Did they leave him? WERE THEY DEAD?! I decided not to ask because I could see it pained him to speak of it. I picked up the other half of my sandwich and finished it off, along with a banana. As I bit into it, I noticed that he was watching. Mid-bite, I turned to him and asked why he was staring.

"Would you happen to have another one of those?" He said hopefully. I reached into the basket and pulled out another yellow fruit, then handed it to him. His smile returned. "I like bananas. Bananas are good."

I was amused by the way he said the word. His accent made it sound funny, but I liked it. I also noticed that he peeled the banana from the bottom sort of like a monkey does (not meant to be insulting)... It was just interesting and odd all at the same time.

"Me too, they're my favourite."

"This, Samantha, is the start of a beautiful friendship." He winked.

I let it sink in. I was having a picnic with an alien in a fucking time machine ... how cool is my life right now?!

Just as my mental high five was over, the doctor took a blank pad of paper out of his pocket and examined it, mumbling something about statues. He looked up at me. "Ready for another adventure?"