Chapter Five

Sunday, May 24th

A question you might have: did you ever go home again?

Well, yes. I did. I'm home right now. I'm sitting at my kitchen table, about to tell you how the doctor dropped me off.

When I took off with him, I told my mother I was spending the weekend with my friend Jo, at her house. Obviously I lied because in reality I was in space with a grown man. I had texted Jo the night before I left, asking her to cover for me if my mom just so happened to call. What would I do without friends like these?

Anyways, she got suspicious and asked why she needed to help me lie. I couldn't tell her, so I made up another lie. "I'm going out with this guy but my mom would never let me if she knew." I'd said. Which is sort of true. I had gone out ...out of the planet. And I was with a guy ...a guy whom my mother would never allow me to see if she knew what he could do. So, long story short, I got away with two lies that night.

Now, here in my boring household, I'm thinking about the exciting things I'm probably missing. Flying in the TARDIS, laughing with the doctor, nearly breaking bones while freeing myself from statues, WATCHING FUCKING SOLAR FLARES!!! I wonder if I could actually see that without bursting into flames ...I'll have to ask him.

I was dropped back at home this morning after I told the doctor I needed to be home.

"Don't go too far." I said to him as I stepped out the TARDIS doors and onto my front lawn. "Goodbye."

"Don't say goodbye." He smirked. "Just say later."

"Why?"

"Because goodbye means forever, and later just means ...later." We exchanges smiled and he pulled me in for a hug. I walked up onto my front porch and watched the TARDIS disappear.

I walked inside my house. Nobody was home. My dogs barked and shook their cages as they tried to find a way out to see me. After unlocking both doors, they jumped on me and licked my face, their tails going wild.
-
Being home sucks. It's boring, it's dull. All I've been doing is blankly strumming my ukulele. Four hours later I finally heard a car pull into the driveway.

"Mom?" I called as I heard the door slam. I approached the kitchen, where I assumed she would be.

"No, it's me." My brother yelled, unaware that I was now only a few feet away. "But mom's still in the car."

They had gone out driving so my brother could practice. He just got his permit in February. They went to Walmart and bought new clothes. To my surprise there was a bag for me. Inside it were a pair of nice blue jeans and a lacy floral shirt.

The air was cooling off outside so it became less of a struggle to go outside. There's really nothing I hate more than being sweaty... I decided to go for a walk as the sun was starting to set. Instead of going on the normal route I usually take, I decided to venture through the woods out back of my house, but before I did that, I changed into a long pair of pants to prevent getting a tick on my legs.

The dry grass crunches underneath my shoes as I walked past my mother's garden and into the large number of trees behind it. Clutched in one hand was a pencil, and in the other, my journal. I always tried to find a peaceful place to write when I went walking. Just as I though I'd found one, I noticed something odd ...I was going to sit on a stump, and as I brushed some dirt off and lay my journal down, I saw out the corner of my eye, something carved into a tree only a few feet away.

Walking over to it, I could see now that the letters were carved deeply into the bark. The letters B-A-D-W-O-L-F.

Bad Wolf? What the hell was that about? I told myself to forget about it and made my way back over to the stump. But wait ...the tree on the other side was carved into as well. Same letters, same depth. I then came to the realisation that I was surrounded by trees, that all had BAD WOLF carved into them. All of them. Everywhere I turned.

"Oh my God." I whispered, no longer sure if I was alone or not. My heart was pounding, my eyes were wide. Then, just like that, I made a beeline for the edge of the woods, leaving my journal behind. At the moment I didn't care, but as it sunk in, I became indecisive as to whether or not I should go back for it.

In the midst of my thoughts, I wasn't watching my step and toppled over a root sticking out of the ground, scraping my chin and left forearm on the ground. Ouch. This sucked.

With my house in sight, I decided I could slow my sprint to a steady pace. My arm hurt and so did my face. Way to go, Sam! I mentally punched myself in the gut, thinking about my journal and how it was going to rain later tonight ...fuck. Just fuck.