Chapter Four

Friday, May 22nd

In order for you to believe and completely understand what happened next, you'll have to open your imagination. Statues. Angel statues that moved. They were quick, and if they got you ...you would be sent back. Far back ...and you would live to death.

Seems pretty simple at first, yeah? Don't let them touch you, and you're safe. Well, that's not all there is to it. These Angels will stand still, completely still in a weeping position, for as long as you can look at them. But the second you blink, they ...will ...move.

"Keep looking at them. Do not close your eyes. Sam. Listen to me, don't blink. Do you understand?" The doctor was shouting as we stood in a room, back to back, surrounded by three of the statues.

"Yes." I said softly, trying my best not to lose my cool and cry. My eyes started to sting and I didn't know how much longer I could manage. I had to blink. "Doctor." My voice cracked. "Doctor, I can't. I can't keep them open."

With that, I blinked. It was only for a second but now the angel stood not even inches from me. I screamed, but didn't dare blink again. The doctor turned around to see if I was okay, but that was a mistake on his part. The angel moved closer to him as well. He was right. They were fast. And one of them had me by the wrist.

I tried pulling myself from it's grasp, and got my hand out half way, feeling a painful sensation rise up my arm. With one last attempt, I freed myself and nearly screamed at the new amount of pain.

The doctor and I backed up to the door. He told me to run down the hall first, so he could keep watching them. Then, once he started running, I would make sure they didn't follow. This continued until we were out of the building.

Running back to the TARDIS, I wasn't sure what I'd done to my hand. There was still an intense amount of pain, and my wrist was becoming bruised. The doors flung open and I threw myself inside, then took a seat on the stairs leading to the console. The doctor went about pressing his buttons and adjusting his levers, and soon enough, we had escaped the Angels.

I'll be honest, I was on the verge of tears. The brim of a sob-fest, but I tried to be nonchalant instead of scared to fucking death. My wrist became a darker shade of purple, and I was worried. Would my hand fall off?

"Let me see." The soothing voice of the doctor eased me slightly as the TARDIS landed.

I gave him my hand, wincing at his touch. "The Angel-" I began.

"Shh." He hushed me kindly and then placed his other hand on top. Some sort of light began evaporating from his skin. My hand burned for only a moment, but then cooled and felt much better. As he removed his hands from mine, the bruise on my wrist had vanished.

"It's... Gone!" I shouted and examined my hand, wiggling my fingers. "How did you-"

"It's something us Time Lords can do." He smiled, then put an arm around me. "So, listen." His voice softened even more. "I understand if you want to leave."

I thought for a moment. This danger, this excitement, this near-death experience. Blood pumping, hand sweating, exhilarating experience. It didn't make sense to me why I liked it ...but I did.

"No." I said simply. "I'm staying."