XVII

Shyra wrinkled her nose as another relative smeared cold paste on her arm

Shyra wrinkled her nose as another relative smeared cold paste on her arm. Beside her, Mahi laughed at her expression and made exaggerated faces, causing her to hit his arm in response.

"Stay still, both of you," her mother hissed from her place beside Shyra, features contorting for a second before flowing back to her calm state. Shyra sighed and placed her cheek on her palm, feeling restless from sitting for so long.

"Shyra, the haldi ceremony is an important event for your wedding. Don't you know, it helps in warding off the evil eye, cleanses your skin..." Nayaka began, listing its features for the umpteenth time.

"Alright, that's enough Mother. I've been hearing about the various rituals and events for a maasa now. Don't forget, it was me who ran around and prepared for my wedding," Shyra shot back, glad that she was able to speak up for once.

And it was true. Ever since word got out that their wedding would take place a maasa later, preparations began in full gusto. Since then, the women in the family had taken charge of the events and pulled Shyra in to make sure everything was in order.

Even now, as she sat for the Haldi and her and Mahi's bodies were smeared with yellow paste, important guests and dignitaries were making their way to the mantap for the wedding rituals.

After the last of the attendees applied haldi paste on their faces, both of them were ushered away to change into their wedding attire. Shyra changed out of her yellow drape and was given a pure white sari with beautiful gold borders. Her dusky skin was then adorned with necklaces, bangles, maang tikas and anklets and fragrant parijata flowers were strung in her hair.

Looking into the mirror now, she truly felt like a bride who was about to take her seven pheras around the sacrificial fire. It stirred a whole bunch of emotions into her stomach, and she couldn't separate the anxiety and nervousness from the excitement.

The walk towards the wedding site was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of her lifetime. Not because of sudden cold feet, but because some unknown apprehension clawed its way through her heart.

Tough times are coming ahead, it whispered to her, no matter how much she tried to silence it.

Nevertheless, as she stepped into the wedding site, her fears melted away on seeing Mahi's face alight as he met eyes. He was going to be her husband, and nothing could hold off her happiness for too long.

The priest gestured for her to sit next to him, and he began chanting mantras to the Cosmos. Shyra kept glancing at her would-be husband, who looked breathtaking in his matching white shirt and crisp dhoti. His hair had been styled like the waves of Mehri, and she just wanted to run her hands through them.

"Focus, my Jaani," Mahi leaned toward her and whispered, and she realized that everyone was waiting for her to pour the ghee into the fire. She fumbled with the silver spoon and poured it with blushing cheeks, much to Mahi's amusement.

Soon, it was time for both of them to garland each other. A huge string of bright yellow flowers were brought to them, and Mahi delicately placed the garland around her neck. After she did the same, everyone joyously showered them with flower petals, coloring the air with bright hues.

Shyra looked at Mahi at that moment, and as the petals rained down on them, he'd never looked more handsome in her eyes. It warmed her heart and allowed her to float through the rest of the ceremonies with a peaceful mind.

And as their pinkies were tied together with a ceremonial red thread, she only felt the excitement of beginning a new life with someone she loved. As per tradition, Mahi walked seven times around the sacrificial fire with Shyra walking behind him.

She then took the lead and led them around the fire seven times, completing the pheras with a sense of finality.

The priest had them seated in front of the fire for the final process of the wedding. A golden necklace was handed to Mahi and he clasped it around Shyra's neck, staring into her eyes the entire time. He then pinched the red kumkum powder in between his fingers and spread it vertically on her forehead.

Shyra still felt the ghost of his fingers when she raised her eyes to meet his, and the corners of his mouth lifted in a shy smile.

"Looks like we're officially married now, Shyra."

She felt a rush of giddiness when she considered the words, and intertwined her pinky with his.

"Yeah. Looks like we're officially husband and wife."