Chapter Twelve: The Burrow

DECEMBER 19, 1997 – The Burrow

Harry had taken Severus up on his suggestion to present their relationship to James and Lily with Sirius and Remus there for backup. The first time it was mentioned, James nearly had a conniption, but Lily was far more understanding and talked her husband down. It was especially helpful that Sirius and Remus were on board, which made James really consider his son's happiness in the long-run. In the end, both Potters gave their blessing for Harry and Severus to be together as a couple.

James and Lily were very surprised and delighted that Harry was already finished with his Hogwarts education, and that he had made an O in each of his NEWTs. They were pleased that Remus was married and expecting a child, and met Dora with every bit of enthusiasm as they would have done if still alive. They were quite amused to learn that Sirius had settled down with a former pro-Quidditch player, and equally surprised when Sirius and Gwen revealed that they had officially begun trying for a baby. The next shocker was that Sirius had adopted Harry, which brought tears to James and Lily's eyes, which were equal to the anger that Harry had initially been placed in Vernon and Petunia's custody initially, as well as the abuse Harry had suffered at their hands.

Intermingled with various conversations with his parents, Harry also attended Order meetings, did some traveling with Severus to find rare potion ingredients, and spent nights at Prince Hall as well. They also made time to go to all of his inherited properties for a week at a time, and Severus was delighted to harvest local and fresh potions ingredients there. Harry was always patient with his lover and life partner, and as summer bled into fall, followed by winter, his heart grew ever more fonder with the man.

Harry was very happy when Severus revealed to him that he had received an invitation from Arthur and Molly for the annual Christmas gathering at the Burrow that year, and that he had accepted the invitation. Harry got gifts for everyone that night, but left off giving out his gifts to Sirius, Gwen, and Severus, knowing that he would see them closer to Christmas. Harry got new clothes for the occasion and showed up at the Weasley home on time, the gifts tucked underneath his arm, and stepped inside.

"Oh, Harry, dear!" Molly cried, bustling forward and embracing her surrogate son. "Supper's in half an hour. Why don't you come in and have some hot pumpkin cider? Everyone's waiting in the living room, love."

Harry grinned at her. "Thank you, Molly," he replied, accepting her kiss on the cheek as he went to the living room, and she returned to the kitchen. "Happy Christmas, Arthur," he said to the Weasley patriarch, as he stepped over to him.

"Harry!" Arthur said, beaming as he clapped him on the back. "Molly mention the pumpkin cider to you yet?"

"She did, yeah," Harry responded, following the man deeper into the room, and nodding in gratitude when he was given leave to deposit the gifts beneath the large and festive-looking Christmas tree. Turning, he was ambushed by Hermione, who got to him first, her curls tickling his cheeks as she flew over, throwing her arms around him. "Hey, 'Mione," he said, chuckling a bit as the wind was knocked out of him.

"Those books you gave me from your vaults have been brilliant!" she gushed, pulling back and beaming at him, her cheeks flushed with happiness. "They've really helped me with my research projects on the law and magical creatures."

Harry raised his eyebrows. "You've picked a direction, then?"

"Yes," Hermione replied eagerly. "I want to improve the rights of werewolves and have them classified as only beings and not beasts. Remus is a perfect candidate for a werewolf who takes his Wolfsbane regularly and has a stable job, income, and family life." Hermione turned a little and smiled, seeing Remus sitting on the couch with Dora, one ear to her swollen belly, and whispering things to their child excitedly, while Dora combed her fingers through his hair and looked down at him with love.