Chapter Three: The Burrow

JULY 31, 1996 – The Burrow

On Harry's sixteenth birthday, everyone gathered at the Burrow for his party, hosted by Molly and Arthur Weasley. Harry was, at first, worried that Sirius would complain, but was assured by his godfather that he didn't mind. At the party, Harry was pleased to see a now-retired Dumbledore, Headmistress McGonagall and Deputy Headmaster Snape, plus Hagrid all in attendance. In addition to those members of the Hogwarts staff were Sirius and Gwenog (who were now dating publicly), Remus and Tonks (who were now officially a couple), Molly and Arthur, Bill and Fleur, Charlie, Fred and George, Ron and Hermione, Ginny and Draco (who had asked for protection against the Death Eaters, now under Snape's guardianship and in a relationship with Ginny), Dean and Seamus, and Neville and Luna (who were celebrating three months as a couple) were all there as well. It was with a chorus of Happy Birthday and a great swarm of hugs that Harry was greeted to, and he found that he couldn't be happier.

"Deputy Headmaster," Harry said at last, when all the other party guests got distracted by various conversations or Fred and George's latest inventions, "I was hoping that I may have a word, if you please."

Severus gave Harry a small smile. "You needn't be so formal during the summer, Harry. Severus is just fine, if you're comfortable with it."

Harry beamed up at the man. "Thank you, sir—erm, Severus," he said, correcting himself quickly with a laugh, and was relieved that he and the man had officially gotten back on the correct foot, as the months had gone by. "Have you seen the orchard?" he asked awkwardly. "I know that the Dirigible Plums are coming in very nicely."

Severus smiled more broadly that time. "No, I'm afraid I've not have the pleasure, Harry. I would very much like to see them, however."

Harry nodded his head, venturing across the yard, which had been decorated immaculately by Molly, Ginny, Hermione, and Fleur, and around the bend, past Arthur's shed, and towards the orchard, which was thick with the aforementioned plums, apples, pears, and oranges. Turning to face the man, he said, "I mentioned to you that I was becoming an Animagus with Sirius's guidance, didn't I?"

Severus smirked, although there was no unkindness within the expression. "Yes, I believe we discussed it an abundance of times, Harry."

"Well, I finally know how to transform and back without getting stuck in the middle," he explained, his tone somewhat breathless.

Severus nodded his head. "That is wonderful news, Harry."

"Well," Harry said, kicking slightly at the ground, "you see, Sirius hasn't seen it yet. I wanted to keep it a surprise, but I wanted to show you my form, if you're all right with that."

Sirius raised his eyebrows. "Are you quite certain, Harry? Surely, you would wish to show your godfather, or Remus, or even Ron and Hermione first..."

Harry shook his head. "I want it to be you. It has to be you... Please?"

Severus looked uncomfortable, although the moment was so fleeting that Harry believed he had missed the proper look entirely. "Very well, Harry. If and only if this is something you're truly comfortable with."

Harry nodded. "It is."

Severus inclined his head. "All right, then. Whenever you're ready."

Harry concentrated, his body automatically lowering to the ground and covering itself completely in a coat of impressive black fur, while his feet and hands elongated into strong, fur-covered arms, with large paws and claws on each foot. His ears regulated themselves to the top of his head and pointed upwards in a triangle shape, while his face elongated to form a wet nose and a mouth filled with large fangs. Looking up at his deputy headmaster, Harry knew that the only things which had remained the same, were his green eyes and the white zig-zag upon his forehead, symbolizing the moment where Voldemort had marked him as his equal.