chapter ten

When Delia and Thomas got to the hotel, Delia pulled out her phone and called the local pd station letting them know that they were back and needed more to build on the case. She made plans to meet up with the chief of police to review what was found. When she hung up, she heard Thomas on the phone with the morgue asking if they could meet with the new medical examiner to see if they could combine notes. 
       When he hung up, Thomas turned around to see Delia staring at him. She looked away, busying herself with unpacking her bags. "What's for lunch? Cant meet with ME until tomorrow. Apparently he's taking a day off." He said, talking to fill the silence. Delia nodded and shrugged. "Whatever you want is fine. We're going to the local PD tomorrow as well. Chief wants to talk to us." she planned to find somewhere to run off too for as long as she could though. 
        Thomas ordered in pizza and turned the hotels tiny tv on, flipping to the movie channel. Delia grabbed some clothes and a towel and headed for the bathroom. She kept the door cracked enough to let the shower steam escape, and started to peel off her clothes. Delia pushed her hair around to the side of her neck and examined her skin. She looked down at her thighs, and ran her fingers over long healed scars. Everyone had a secret. Delia got into the shower and started to rinse the day away. She had nearly gotten the cheap conditioner all the way in her hair, when she heard the bathroom door creak open. She stood in the shower, looking towards the direction of the door. 
       Thomas knocked on the door. Delia sighed and pulled back the curtain getting ready to yell, "You had your chance" but startled and nearly fell over in the shower when she saw Thomas leaning against the sink. "What the hell?" she said, yanking the shower curtain back. Delia's heart was beating right out of her chest. "Sorry, I just wanted to come in here and apologize." He replied. There was a hint of amusement in his voice. "What are you apologizing for? Perving on me while I'm in the shower?" Delia couldn't deny it though, this was kinda hot. "No, I'm not sorry about this. I wanted to apologize. I listened to what you said to me in the airport. And I'm sorry." He replied seriously. A smile betrayed Delia as it crawled across her face. There was never a time where Thomas was not playing the gentleman role. She had to admit, he was a good guy. 
       Delia forgave him and it went silent for a minute. She figured he was gone and went back to rinsing the shampoo out of her hair, but was startled yet again by the curtain being pulled back. Panic and heat began to rise in Delia as Thomas stepped into the shower. Delia quickly covered her chest and turned around. "What the hell?!" she gasped, keeping her eyes on her feet. "You're going to use up all the hot water. Figured this might get ya out quick." Thomas shrugged his shoulders and Delia inched towards the opposite end of the shower head. She went to pull back the shower curtain but paused. Was she really going to let an opportunity like this slip? He's her partner, she can't. But he's getting promoted soon. He's married. Not happily. 
     Delia turned to face Thomas and found that he was centimeters away from her, leaning his head down to look at her. Her breath caught in her throat, and she involuntarily kept steady eye contact with him.  Delia was about to crumple on the bathtub floor. He took one hand and cupped her face into his hands, staring before he leaned down to kiss her. It was passionate, and it was HOT. Delia made a face as Thomas pulled away from her and pushed her hair back behind her ears. He flashed her his trademark grin and said he needed to wash up. 
         Delia got dressed outside the bathroom, slipping on an oversized Ozzy Osbourne shirt and some Bambi pajama pants. She was running a brush through her hair, thinking about what had just happened when the bathroom door opened. Thomas came out with just a towel wrapped around his waist. It was hanging low and it took everything in Delia to focus on a spot on the wall. She continued to brush her hair as she saw him staring at her out of the corner of her eye while he was getting his clothes. When he disappeared back into the bathroom, Delia felt like she could finally breathe again. She felt giddy. Girlish. She hadn't felt this way in a long time.  She suddenly started thinking of her ex, John. She shoved the thought out of her mind and returned to brushing her hair. 
             When Thomas came out of the bathroom, Delia kept her eyes off of him and searched for something to busy herself. She pulled out her phone and started going through her messages when Thomas spoke, "Sorry if you weren't into that." He said. Delia's insides twirled and she looked up at him. "Now you're just making it awkward." She chuckled. Thomas threw his head back and laughed. "Please. You could cut the tension in this room with a knife." He said as he started throwing clothes back into his bag. "So what are we going to do tomorrow?" Delia asked. They had a game plan, but it really wasn't a plan. What were they going to ask? They didn't really have a lot to work with.  Thomas scratched his head and shrugged.  "I figured we'd go to the Mort first. Maybe he's got us a lead or something." Thomas sat on the edge of Delia's bed, a confused look etched onto his face. "Did he say anything to you when you called?" She asked. She had her notepad and a pen sitting beside her. "No, I talked to his receptionist." Thomas sucked in his lips and blew air out his nose. Delia nodded and tapped her pen against the notepad. "So I guess we're just sitting ducks then." she joked. Thomas didn't look as amused. These kinds of cases always made him a certain way. 
Delia hoped that the last few hours meant something to him.