chapter eight

On the drive to her house, Delia thought about Thomas's cold shoulder and how he had treated her the last time they saw each other. Was it possible that she was just making the romantic stuff up in her head? Had she misinterpreted what he was doing? Delia chewed on her lip, her mind racing. She pulled into her garage and made her way into the kitchen. She put her coat on the chair and pulled out her phone, checking her messages. Sure enough, there was one from Thomas

"Hey"
              6:34 pm

Delia rolled her eyes and opened the message. So he's just going to pretend nothing happened?

"Hi"
            7:04

she set her phone face down on the counter, fetching her briefcase from her car. She opened it and relooked at the files on the case. If they didn't interview the short-man now, they may never be able to solve this case in time. They may never be able to bring justice to this young girl. 
     Delia made herself a cup of coffee and sat down in the chair with the files again. Racking her brain about what could possibly be the motive. She was the senators daughter, and Harlem wasn't very popular in the city. Huge republican, pushing religious beliefs and other opinions. Delia didn't like her. Maybe someone felt the same way and decided to hit her close to home without hitting the senator specifically? Or maybe Beatrice was friends with the wrong people. Maybe her forbidden lover wanted out but didn't want it to come out of secrecy. There were many theories. But only one was right. And that was what they had to figure out. 
          Delia ran her fingers through her hair and locked her front door, going upstairs to pack her bag for the flight tomorrow. She wondered if Thomas would still come. Delia knew he was having family problems, but did that really mean he had to keep her on edge? Delia decided that it was better not to think about it anymore. They were partners. They couldn't. Though Delia had been through scary and tough times with Thomas, would one of them be willing to give up their jobs for a relationship that might not even work?
          Delia checked her phone once her bags were packed. Another text from Thomas. 

"My bags are packed. Excited for tmr?"
                                                                      7:14

"You bet." 
                    7:30

"Srry abt today. Dealing with ex wife."
                                                                        7:31

"Hope things get better. C u tmr. Flight leaves at 8:00. Dont be l8."
                                                                                                                                7:31

Delia sighed and shut her phone off. Thomas was her partner. Has been her partner for 8 years now. She couldn't get involved. She can't. Delia shoved her face in her pillow and let out a scream.