chapter twelve

Back in Montana, Delia and Thomas sat at their desks waiting for the lab results that were supposed to come in. They had made another appointment to speak with Senator Harlem and ask her more questions. Delia was almost frightened to tell her that her daughter was five months pregnant. Thomas had a suspicion that Harlem probably already knew. "So do you still think this is a "She knows too much case?" Delia asked, spinning in her chair across from him. "I don't know. What do you think it is?" Thomas replied, leaning back in his chair and folding his hands across his stomach. Delia shrugged and thought for a moment. "The girl was pregnant. Maybe she told the baby daddy and he decided that it was easier to get rid of her then knowing she could use the baby against him in a way?" Delia threw the theory out, but would someone want to do that? Sure, most people get pregnant by accident but why would this mystery man get rid of her for it? He could easily just ghost her. Unless the man was working for someone. 
       It was 4 hours later before Riggs called them into his office, the papers from the lab on his desk. Delia took a seat, but Thomas paced behind her. "The semen traced back to someone, but not a man." Riggs said, dropping the paper and folding his hands. Delia and Thomas both gawked at him. Now they had to tell the senator her daughter was a lesbian. Delia's theory didn't make much sense now, but if Beatrice had a woman lover how did she get pregnant? Theories racked through Delias brain, pulling her from reality. A jealous lover maybe? Delia was tired of the guessing games. But the only person who could answer their questions was sitting in a cold box waiting to be buried. 
      "Cordelia." Rigg's booming voice broke Delia from her trance. "You with us?" Thomas cocked his head. "Sorry, I was thinking." She straightened out in the chair and started listening again. "Maybe this lady seduced her, luring her into a trap. Could be someone working for Harlem. Could be some random hooker on the street." Thomas ran his fingers through his hair as he began pacing back and forth again. "Well, whatever Ms. Georgia Barnes is, she was traced back to our vic. I'll get you guys an address, but we need answers. This case needs to be solved NOW." Riggs threw a picture of the girl across his desk, and Delia pocketed it after looking at it. 
     When they left Rigg's office, Thomas opened his mouth to speak but closed it again. "What?" Delia raised her eyebrow at him. "Why does he call you Cordelia?" Thomas looked at her with a confused face. "Because that's my name?" Delia laughed, her eyebrow still raised. "But everyone else calls you Delia." Thomas muttered. After that, he dropped the conversation and that was the biggest relief. They made their way back to their desks and Delia sat down and started her computer. She was going to do some internet searching. 
       A couple hours in, Delia felt braindead. She had gone through Beatrice's twitter, her instagram, and her facebook, but there was nothing. No pictures of their mystery girl, no evidence leading to a baby daddy, zilch. Delia laid her head down for a few minutes before someone cleared their throat which made her jump and raise her head. An officer was standing near her desk, an awkward smile on her face. "Riggs told me to bring this to you." The officer said, handing her a folded piece of paper. Delia thanked her and took the paper, waiting to open it until the officer was gone. There was a name, another picture, and an address.. Delia grabbed her coat and phone, stuffing the paper and picture in her pocket and sending a quick text to Thomas. 

"Got the suspects  address.  Get your ass off the toilet. I'll be outside."

Delia lit a cigarette while she leaned against her car waiting for Thomas. Her phone buzzed with a notification as she took a drag and she held the cigarette in her mouth while she pulled out her phone. 
John. 

"Hey Delia. Wanted to see how you're doing. Been a while." 

Delia's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach as she stared at the message. Her stomach tied itself into knots, twisting and turning. Why? Why when she was right in the middle of a case. And why, when he was the one who ended the 4 year relationship because he wanted someone who was constantly home, so she could do all the work for him. John couldn't accept the fact that solving crimes and helping people was Delia's whole life. He had made her think that she was wrong for that. And it had taken the past two years for her to realize that she wasn't wrong. 
     As Delia started to reply to the message, Thomas walked out not realizing he had just saved her from herself. "What's wrong, Vice?" He asked, his smile leaving his face. Delia shook her head, dropping the cigarette and stepping on it. When they both got in the car, Thomas put his hand on Delia's knee and used the other one to turn her face towards him. Delia's heart jumped but she wasn't really in the mood, so she narrowed her eyes as he looked her over.  "Delia. What is wrong?" he repeated. Delia sighed and reached for her phone, pulling her head out of his grasp. She pulled up the texts and handed him the phone, shifting the car into drive and heading for the suspects address. Thomas set her phone down in the cup holder and looked confused. "Who's John?" he asked. Delia took a minute before responding. "An ex-boyfriend. He left me because he wanted someone more available." Thomas started to laugh and Delia raised her eyebrow. "Sorry, I just think he's funny. Getting in a relationship with a detective, knowing what we do presumably, and then getting mad because she's basically doing superhero shit." He laughed again and shook his head. 
Thomas was jealous.