20: If Only

"Then Edward burst into the room, killed James and sucked the venom from my veins.". 

Angelo whistled from his place in the passenger seat. "All this during the first months of knowing him?" He clarified. Bella nodded. 

They were a few weeks deeper into summer vacation. Both had become closer since Angelo came clean about the whole Jasper thing and he reluctantly told her Edward was still looking out for her. He felt awful for having given the girl hope, but he wanted to be honest. 

"He saved my life and he was able to hold himself back from killing me even though I'm his singer." She continued, "I knew he was special before but that moment...I felt so safe in his arms at that moment.". 

Angelo pressed his lips together. 

"Are you sure that wasn't just the blood loss?" He asked. 

Bella furrowed her brow, glancing at him briefly with a harsh glare. "Hey, it was just a question." Angelo tried to defend. "Usually humans and vampires have this natural repellant sort of thing. You're supposed to be afraid of them, the back of your brain is supposed to tell you to run away.". 

"What would you know about that?" Bella shot back, somewhat pettily. 

"I wouldn't know, my brain doesn't tell me to run from anything." Angelo replied seamlessly, then stopped. "Have you ever considered that maybe you come from a hunter bloodline too? I mean, it would make sense. They don't scare you, Edward can't read your mind, it makes perfect sense.". 

Angelo wanted to kick himself for not coming up with that earlier. It explained pretty much everything about Bella, except why she was so in love with Edward. 

"Edward not being able to read my mind means nothing when you compare it to the other's powers. They all still work on me." Bella argued, unsure herself. She had always wanted to know why Edward couldn't use his powers on her, but this didn't seem like it. 

"A weak bloodline then." The other teen amended. "You should just check the family history, see if there's anyone with a history of a lot of temp-jobs.". 

"My father is a police officer and my mother's a teacher those are the opposite of temporary jobs.". 

"A little further back then just your parents, Bella." The boy teased. 

The girl glanced at the passenger as they continued to ascend the mountain road. "How far back does it go? Like how long has your family been hunters?". 

Angelo hummed, staring at the scenery outside his window. "Well, on one side of the family since the mid-joseon dynasty and on the other some time around the 1700s? I think? Each person in a hunter family has their own unique history, we tend to operate more as individual family units than one big family.". 

"I thought you grew up with your grandparents? And you're living with your uncle..." Bella trailed off, realizing how her words must have sounded. She didn't mean to pick his identity apart. "Sorry." She amended, "I overstepped, didn't I?". 

"Nah, its okay." Angelo assured her, an easy smile on his face. "That's just circumstance. I wasn't exactly close to my uncle Dan before I came to live with him.". 

"You uncle...he doesn't want you to kill anyone, right?" Bella asked for confirmation. Angelo nodded. "You can except that but not that Edward and I love each other? Is that too far a step?". 

"I can't even except the fact he doesn't want to strange every vampire he meets." Angelo replied bluntly. "Dating one is way to far for me.". 

"Do you?" Bella asked, swallowing past a nervous lump in her throat, "Want to kill every one, I mean.". Angelo nodded, still smilingly slightly. It was a bit scary, if Bella was being honest. "How do you just...walk around wanting to kill people all the time?".