34: Gravity

That comfortable routine was broken on the morning of the third day when Dan finally called. 

"Hey kid.". 

From the sound of his uncle's voice, Angelo already knew something was wrong. 

"What happened?". 

"Are you sitting down? How are your ribs, are they healing all right?" Dan's voice was wavering, on the verge of something emotional. 

"Uncle, what the fuck happened?".

"Angelo, kid, I'm so sorry.". His uncle's voice was tight, the word 'sorry' was broken off by what could have been a cough or a small sob. 

Angelo felt his mind go silent and numb with realization as it crashed into him. His hands suddenly shook as they gripped the home phone. He felt cold. 

"They're dead.". 

It wasn't Dan who said it, it was Angelo. 

"Someone broke into the house, that's what Hannah found when she got there." His uncle explained, "We couldn't find them, so we started searching, launched a search party with a ton of other local hunters and just ten minutes ago we found them.". Dan's voice was still so full of pain it was hard to listen to. "They were killed. Murdered.". 

"By who?". 

By comparison, Angelo's voice was dark. There was no strain. His voice was deep and rough and angry

"From the looks of it, someone who really had it out for them. I'm so sorry kid, you shouldn't be alone to hear this.". 

"Vampire or werewolf?" He asked through gritted teeth. 

"Vampire.". 

Angelo's mind raced. They never left any loose ends. If they killed one vampire, they killed their whole coven. Then if their allied coven's came knocking they killed them all too. There was no one left alive to seek revenge, it didn't make sense. 

"I-". The second he opened his mouth the teen forgot what he was about to say. "Are you okay?" He asked his uncle, not knowing what else to say.

"No.". Dan was always one to be honest. "Hannah's been crying too, she's talking to the police right now. I'll be home soon, I promise.". 

"I'll fly to you.". 

"Kid-". 

"Don't fucking say anything." Angelo spat out. "Don't say a fucking word I will spend all the goddamn money I have in the world on a ticket, I will drive or fly or fucking swim with a broken rib I swear to fucking god I am going home. Now.". 

"I'm not gonna stop you from coming. I just want you to be careful." Dan told him, "I was gonna get someone from the station to drive you to the airport. Or Charlie.". 

"I'll drive myself." Angelo told him, picking up the home phone and walking towards his room. 

"Your bike is busted, remember? That newborn totaled it in Seattle.". 

"Fuck." Angelo cursed under his breath. "I'll get someone to drive me there right now. I'll call you from the airport.". 

"Be safe, kid." Dan breathed out, "Get here in one peace or so help me-". He cut himself off, but the message was clear. 

"I'll be there." Angelo replied, his voice solemn as he hung up. 

The second the line went dead, he took a deep, almost gasping breath in.