7️⃣

The revelation had come like a bolt from the blue, shattering Matthias's world into fragments of disbelief and despair. He moved through the day as if in a trance, the words echoing in his mind: "You're dying." The bustling hallways, the chatter of classmates, the mundane rituals of school life—all faded into the background, rendered insignificant by the gravity of his situation.

Rosalie Hale, the enigmatic beauty with hair like spun gold and eyes that held the chill of winter, was his mate. A vampire, a creature of myth and legend, now irrevocably tied to his existence. And yet, she was rejecting the bond that nature had forged between them, casting him adrift in a sea of pain and uncertainty.

Matthias couldn't fathom what past traumas had led Rosalie to build such impenetrable walls around her heart. He respected her wishes, her need for distance, even as it cost him his vitality. He wouldn't pursue her, wouldn't grovel for her acceptance. His pride wouldn't allow it.

The emotions churned within him—a tempest of sadness, anger, and disappointment. He had hoped, perhaps naively, that a friendship might blossom between them, that he might be the one to thaw her frozen heart. But Rosalie's dismissal was clear, unequivocal. She wanted nothing to do with him.

Mr. Lee had spoken of a solution, a way to sever the bond that was leeching the life from Matthias's veins. But it came at a price—a price that Matthias wasn't sure he was willing to pay. What value did life hold if it meant living without the hope of connection, of love?

As he sat there, lost in thought, he barely registered the concerned gaze of the blonde beauty beside him. Rosalie's eyes, usually so cold, now flickered with something that resembled concern. Was it possible that beneath her icy exterior lay a flicker of warmth, a spark that might yet be kindled?

Matthias knew he faced an impossible choice. To live a life devoid of the bond that called to his very soul, or to risk it all for the chance to break through the barriers that Rosalie had erected. The path ahead was fraught with peril, but one thing was certain: he would not go gently into that good night. He would fight, with every breath in his body, for a chance at life... and perhaps, for love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Yesterday from Rosalie's POV*

I knew Alice was keeping something from me...I knew it but I should have known that something like this would have happened. I don't need a mate, I'm perfectly fine on my own. I don't need to condemn someone else into this life the same way I am.

I left school in hurry, pissed off that something like this happened to me. I drove without really knowing my surrounding, not that I need to see to know where I was driving too. I arrived home and quickly parked at our driveway before making my way inside the home.

The Cullen household, usually a haven of tranquility and immortal grace, was now the epicenter of a storm of emotions. The air was thick with the weight of centuries-old existence and the fresh turmoil of Rosalie's heartache.

**Rosalie's POV:**
The walls of the Cullen home felt like they were closing in on me, each family portrait a reminder of the eternal life we were bound to—a life I had accepted but never wished upon another. My footsteps echoed through the halls, a staccato beat against the soft murmur of my family's conversations. I could feel their eyes on me, their concern a tangible thing, but it was Alice's gaze that bore into me with an intensity I couldn't escape.

"Rosalie, we need to talk about this," Alice implored, her voice a gentle chime amidst the brewing storm.

I turned to face her, my expression a carefully crafted mask of indifference. "There's nothing to discuss," I replied, my voice betraying none of the chaos within.

Carlisle stepped forward, his presence commanding yet comforting. "Rosalie, we understand your fears, but you can't ignore the bond. It's not just about you anymore."

I felt a surge of anger at his words. "That's where you're wrong, Carlisle. It is about me—about what I can't do, about the life I can't give Matthias. I won't be responsible for taking that away from him."

Esme's hand found mine, her touch warm and filled with a mother's love. "But darling, don't you see? You're also denying yourself the chance at happiness. Matthias could be—"

I pulled away, the gesture sharp and final. "No, Esme. I've made my decision."

The room fell silent, the air heavy with words left unsaid and futures hanging in the balance.

**Back to Matthias's POV:**
The night was a cloak I wrapped around myself, the darkness a mirror to the void in my chest where the bond pulsed with a life of its own. The trees whispered secrets as I walked, their leaves rustling with the knowledge of ancient loves and heartbreaks.

I stood before the Cullen house, its windows glowing with a soft light that seemed to mock the coldness settling in my bones. With each step I took towards the door, I steeled myself for the confrontation to come.

The door opened before I could knock, and there she stood—Rosalie, her beauty ethereal and otherworldly. Her eyes met mine, and for a moment, I saw the flicker of a thousand unspoken thoughts.

"Rosalie," I began, my voice steady despite the tremor that threatened to break through. "I know you've made your choice, but I'm asking you to reconsider. Not for me, but for us—for the chance at something real."

Her gaze didn't waver, but I saw the conflict raging behind those ice-blue eyes. "Matthias, you don't understand. I can't—"

"I do understand, Rosalie," I interrupted, my resolve hardening. "I understand fear, loss, and pain. But I also understand hope. Don't make this decision out of fear. Give us a chance."

The silence that followed was a living thing, stretching between us like the vast expanse of time that separated our two worlds.

Finally, she spoke, her voice a whisper that carried the weight of eternity. "I need time, Matthias. Time to think, to feel..."

I nodded, accepting the olive branch she offered. "Time is all I'm asking for, Rosalie. Time to show you that life, no matter how long or short, is worth living when it's lived with love."

As I turned to leave, I felt her hand on my arm, a fleeting touch that held the promise of tomorrows yet to come. And in that touch, I found the strength to keep fighting—for life, for love, for Rosalie.