➶ 018 ➶

After that everything had seemed to go downhill. The night Dally died, Ponyboy had fainted, don't know what happened but according to two-bit he was feeling real sick before the rumble.

The cops helped us rush him over to the hospital where they gave him some medication. He was really delusional and he kept asking for his mum and dad and Soda and Darry. We were all pretty shaken up.

Me though. . . I don't know. After I cried into Darry I felt nothing. My tears stopped coming out and I just didn't know what to do with myself. "here he is" Darry said coming up to me with a Doctor. "Joey, can you let them check out your eye please" he had a look of fear and regret in his eyes, so I agreed.

The doctor told me I had transient monocular blindness. Apparently, it means I can't see out of one eye. If I had treated it at the hospital earlier it would've been fine but I guess its too late for that. The blindness in the eye makes it so I can only see things that are right in front of me.

God, I'm so pathetic. I don't want to put Sophia into adoption, mainly because I feel like I'd be abandoning her. But let's be honest now, I'm not fit to raise a child. I can't take care of her in my condition. "what am I gonna do with you" I said looking into her sweet innocent eyes.

I had stayed in my house doing nothing but caring for Sophia for a week. It was really quiet not having the gang around. I thought it was best if I was just by myself for a little bit, to figure out my thoughts for a while.

After a while, I remembered the hearing, "looks like I'm a bit late for that" I chuckled and looked at Sophia. I sighed a long and heavy sigh. I felt much better now that I had cleared my head. I don't know what happened but I felt as though a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"c'mon, baby girl. I got some people I want you to meet"

It was Saturday when I left the house. I had bee at home all week and missed Ponyboy's hearing. I don't even know if he and Soda got sent to a boys home or not. "maybe this wasn't a good idea" I whispered to myself as the door came flying open. "oh hey joey!" it was Soda.

"hey, sorry I've been gone a while" I said as he moved aside letting me in.

"all good. So what bring you around here?" he asked.

"I just came to make sure you, Pony and Darry were all ok." Well that was one of the reasons.

"yeah we're all good now" He said as we walked into the living room. "watch you doing with all that stuff?" I was trying to hold Sophia and a box of all her stuff at the same time. It wasn't easy but I had made it all the way here.

"uh, that's why I'm here, as well" I said sheepishly. "is Steve here?"

"yeah-" He said turning to look at me noticing my respectful clothes. "I'm guessing you want to go today?"

"if its not much trouble" I asked smiling.

"nah all good" he got up and grabbed his keys.

"go where" Ponyboy asked, while everybody else also perked up.

"to my brothers grave I thought I'd take Sophia as well" after I said that they all wanted to join, not that I minded. It would be nice to have my friends come with me this time around.

I put the box at my feet as I held Sophia and we drove off. It was a nice drive and I felt content. I was nervous, but I felt somewhat happy. "so what's with the box" Soda asked pointing it out.

"just some stuff I need to drop off" I said casually.

"you feelin' any better Joey?" Darry asked, concern laced in his voice.

"can't see out my left eye, but I should be fine"

"and here we are" the drive was pretty short. I mean Sand Springs was only 20 minute's drive away.

"well I'll be. Is that you Anthony" I turned to see Mr. and Mrs. Harris.

"Hi, Dr. Harris, Hi Mrs. Harris" I said joyfully. It was nice to see them again. They may have been 10 years older than me but I spoke with them every single time I was here.

"I was starting to get worried you weren't showing up no more," He said. Dr. Harris was about 30 and his wife Emma Harris was 25. They were a nice couple. We met almost all the time at this cemetery. Mainly because this is where my brother's grave was and also because their daughter's grave was here.

They had a daughter about five years ago, but she died when she was two years old. It was pretty sad, but they didn't dwell on their past as much as I dwelled on my past. "its good to see you again kid" they were like my family in way.

"oh and who's this" Mrs. Harris said fawning over Sophia.

"her names Sophia, and she's my daughter" the couple gasped. I looked at the gang who were just hopping out and standing their awkwardly. "you guys stay here, I just want to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Harris for a bit" the nodded and we began walking.

" this may seem strange but, I've come to realise I cant take care of this child. And I don't trust no one to take care of her." I paused feeling tears in my eyes. "but I cant care for her, and I know you loved your daughter very much but I was hopping you could take care of her for me" at this point there was no point in trying to hide my tears. But it didn't bother me. They had seen me cry many times before.

They hugged me crying as well. "we know how hard it is giving up a child Anthony, but if this is what you want then we wouldn't mind taking care of her for you" they said and I thanked them.

"just please promise to send me photos of her. All the holidays and school events and birthdays okay" I said through choked sobs and they nodded.

I led them back to Steve's car and I got out the box of her stuff. "everything of hers is in here. Her birth certificate and the stuff I've been feeding her all of it" I said as they nodded holding Sophia. The gang stood up confused as to what was going on.

"hey Anthony. Why don't we take a photo" Mr. Harris suggested and His wife agreed. I managed to get the whole gang in the photo as well, it was nice.

"wait I'm confused, Joey what are you doing?" Soda asked confused and worried.

I smiled at him. "this past week I realized I couldn't take care of Sophia. Not properly I mean. And I trust Mr. and Mrs. Harris with my life and they've always wanted a second chance of having a kid. So I thought I'd give Sophia to them. She'll have a nice life with them" I explained as we walked to my brother's grave.

It was quiet and peaceful sitting here at his grave. "so." Steve said breaking the silence. Anthony hey"

I punched his leg, "shut up man. It's my middle name. Joseph was my dad's name and they didn't like to call me Joey so they called me Anthony." I laughed. This was nice. We were ok. Everything was going to be ok now.

We would mourn for our losses but we would celebrate our victories.