Prologue: Autumn Leaves

“One Direction’s fatal attraction” was all over the news from the moment the new year started, two deaths close to the boys had caused a frenzy in the media. The boys hadn’t know how to react to all of this, one moment they were celebrating the new comings, now they were mourning the end of a life and for one of the boys it was too much to even think about.

Zayn sat with his head in his hands watching the black umbrellas make their way toward the church, another day another life passes by just like that, it’s nothing too hard to grasp and yet it always made us ask why. The rain trickled down the umbrellas and fused with the tears streaming from everyone’s eyes as they made their rounds of small talk and apologies that would hopefully make this day go faster. Zayn hid out of sight from everyone silently breaking apart; from the moment he let go of her hand he knew it was the biggest mistake of his life. The sky seemed as dark as her hair and the raindrops seemed as pure as her heart, she only came to do the right thing and it ended her life... they ended her life.

The funeral proceeded, the telling of Taylah’s first steps and words to the first time she had done something mischievous made Zayn realize how much he hadn’t know about Taylah, how much he regretted. The church was filled with sniffles and silent sobs as her body was carried away out the door and into the rain. Another tear, another cry, another place for us to die... Zayn didn’t say goodbye, he couldn’t say goodbye after he had told her he was going to get her out... he failed her. Empty promises seemed to be all he could ever do right these days.

One step at a time she was lowered until she reached the car she would be carried away in, yet again she was being torn from him and he had no control over it. Someone touched Zayn’s shoulder lightly trying not to frighten him and as he turned he didn’t catch a glimpse of the face however they pulled him into the warmest of embraces. Another life that’s gone to waste over these ridiculous games, how much longer were they going to go on? One by one the boys huddled around Zayn building a fort for him to silently let go of everything, after all he hadn’t said a word since the incident. Another light lost from his face, he just couldn’t pretend to be okay anymore. How was any of this okay?

No one moved, no one dared to break the silence knowing that there was nothing that could be said to right this wrong. Life was just so easy to be taken away and it hadn’t occurred to Zayn how fragile everyone really was until now. We were all leaves on a tree waiting for the wind to rip us off one by one and send us tumbling down to the ground. It isn’t the freefall that hurts it’s the crumbling and constant bashing we take once we are broken and walked over multiple times until eventually we break apart, scattered all over the place in one massive mess.  What was left of her now? The memory everyone held of her was peaceful but Zayn’s was terrified and scared it would never leave his mind. Her last moments were spent in darkness as the water rose taking her hostage; she would have felt no pain by the end. They had told everyone it was a painless death and that she would have slipped into a state of unconsciousness but facing the end by yourself was something that nightmares couldn’t dare to compete with. Hush now, close your eyes before the sleep. Maybe dying so young would immortalise her however she would never be known as anything but a tragic story, a memory from long ago.

Slipping away, letting everything go as your strength weakened and your body betrayed you, couldn’t have been harder. She didn’t deserve to go like that but it was a warning or a close call for Zayn, A wasn’t messing around and knew just how to hurt the boys causing just as much damage emotionally as physically touching them would. Was the plan to kill them all by picking them off one by one after they were done with their loved ones or were they just trying to drive the boys insane? And your miles away but yesterday you were here with me. It was a simple strategy, the moment the boys tried to do something to figure out the identity of their tortures they took something away, indefinitely. Now they were too scared to even breathe without their phones lighting up, picking which victim was next on the list to hold against them. One question entered their minds in unison the moment their phones buzzed pulling them out of the hideaway they created for Zayn with their own bodies; why were they doing this?

*Never trust a boy band with a killer fan – A*.

Touchdown like a seven four seven, stay out and we’ll live forever now.