Chapter 16

Khloe

"One! Two! One! Two! Stop! From the top!" Tito Fran exclaimed. He fanned himself using his hand. He looks really irritated... and this is not good.

"Hey you! Right, I'm talking to you. Step forward." The girl with a high ponytail took a step forward. She bowed her head a little. She's embarrassed.

"Everything went well until it was your turn. You see Ms. Pony, you're ruining everything. Do you love committing that same mistake?" There goes the usual Tito Fran. Strict and intimidating.

The girl's cheek flushed and she bowed her head even more. I was the last one to walk in since we don't have an official number yet. A while ago, I was wondering what was the basis of this unofficial sequence then I came up with an assumption that maybe looks really matters.

Tito Franc wasn't the one who decided this sequence. Nagkanya-kanyang pwesto lang talaga ang mga candidates. There was a girl who even dared to tell that I should be in the last since I'm ugly. Even after my walk, I'm still the least favourite of my co-candidates. They won't see me as a threat. They see me as a stain. I get that this is a pageant but at least be considerate or maybe a little bit kind. I'm ugly huh? I smiled bitterly. They don't understand that words can ruin someone's confidence and determination.

When you're beautiful and influential, most people will favor you. When you lacked in their beauty standard, they will criticized and put you as an option... despite of your knowledge... despite of your talent. Hindi sa nilalahat ko pero may mga ganoong tao talaga. So I salute those people who sees talents and hard works. People who acknowledges passion and determination. Those people that proves that there's still beauty in humanity.

"Ahm ito po yung numbers nila."

The student handed the round papers with number on it to Tito Fran. May binigay din na isang papel. Maybe that's the list of the names with its specific number.

Tito Fran started to call the names. Nasa 14 kami since hindi naman pare-pareho ang number ng sections per year level.

"And lastly, number 14... Khloe Emerald De Vera." I didn't escape his sharp stare. I blew a deep sigh and went down. I walked closer to him to receive my number.

"So that's why." He said. I pouted my lips.

"Do you want to hear my explanation?" I asked in a low voice.

"Your Mom will do that for you since she was the one who sent me here. You know that you're my favourite student right? But now... " He scanned me from head to toe.

"Do I have to say it?"

I groaned.

"No need. I get it."

He grinned and raised his brow.

"Just know that there won't be favouritism here. I will treat you just the way I treat the other girls. Get it?" He continued. He maintained his low voice so no one would be able to eavesdrop.

"You never treated me any special since day one. You were strict and harsh on me." I said as a matter of fact.

He grinned. Like he took it as a compliment.

"That's how I work, honey."

He clapped his hands and told me to go back on stage. We settled on our positions based on our number and since I'm last, there's nothing to change. Numbers were rumbled. Hindi nila ginawang basis ang year level and sections.

"That's enough for now. Let's proceed to the boys."

Agad akong bumaba. Finally! I really want to go home. I feel exhausted. Dapat pala dinala ko na ang bag ko para hindi na ako babalik ng room. Tss. Malay ko ba kasing aabutin kami ng 6 pm.