[01] "kaltxi"

IT'S BEEN A YEAR and sometimes Nadia swears she can still smell the scent of burning wood

               IT'S BEEN A YEAR and sometimes Nadia swears she can still smell the scent of burning wood. The cries of animals, the cracking from trees—all while she ran to the lab feeling helpless. Nadia hates that feeling, and she'll do anything to avoid it. She keeps a watchful eye on Tuk as she runs around the people of the village. Tuk's imagination keeps her entertained, and Nadia hopes it remains for as long as it can. In the meantime, Nadia does everything she can to help out with the village. Whether it be hunting, cooking, cleaning, or even watching the younger children. It's been a great way to show her gratitude and loyalty to the Na'vi, all while getting to be around her friends.

Jake pulled together a guerrilla warfare team, which also consists of Lo'ak and Neteyam. Lo'ak remembers first getting assigned as a spotter, his excitement showing brighter than the bioluminescent freckles on his skin. It was a strategic plan, and they played it out well. She worries from time to time, knowing that they're good at holding their own, but with heavy weaponry on them, it is harder to believe.

"Careful, Tuk! Sorry..." Nadia whispers to the Na'vi that Tuk continue breezing by without a care in this world.

Everyone she apologizes to gives her a gentle smile, waving their four fingers to let her know they're unbothered by Tuk's adventurous spirit. It took Nadia a long time to feel like she was accepted into the Na'vi. There are days where she still acknowledges that they'll never be alike, but loyalty knows no bounds. She'd die for this village, if it came down to it, and she thinks they respect her in that aspect.

"Attack, attack! Got you!" Tuk swings around her weapon of choice, which just so happens to be one of her favorite toys at the moment.

"Excuse us, oe tsap'alute si!" Nadia apologizes in their tongue while maneuvering her way to follow Tuk's path.

Neteyam was the first to start teaching her Na'vi. She isn't a pro, and there are still quite a few things she's unsure of how to pronounce, but he's patient with her every time. If it wasn't Neteyam, it was simply by paying attention and listening. It's normal to catch on to certain things when it's all you know. Back at the ship, a few years back, Spider and Nadia would attempt to make flashcards. Every night before bed, they would read the cards back and forth, making sure to scold the other if they pronounced even the smallest of things incorrectly.

"Come on, Nadi. Keep up." Tuk giggles, throwing her arm up as she gains speed.

Nadia smiles, shaking her head at how free-willed Tuk really is. Not a second later, Nadia tilts her head back, hearing an almost inaudible sound echoing off the caves. Tuk's ears twitch as another round of war cries echoes throughout the village. It's merely seconds until she spots various mountain banshees soaring through the air.

"They're back." Nadia smiles, excited to see her friends return.

"There are coming!" Tuk cheers, probably more excited to see her parents.