Kylee Torres

Chapter: 17

When Autumn made the possession serum, she didn’t know what to expect. She knew that the serum would alter the person’s brain when it took full effect but she didn’t know anything about the way they would act. And since the serum hadn’t even been tested, no one could risk it taking effect. She didn’t know what she expected.

But she didn’t expect this.

She stood speechless in front of Kylee, barely aware of Archer’s presence anymore. The weight of Kylee’s gaze made Autumn feel intimidated and vulnerable like she could see right through her soul.

“You made it sound like it would be a burden,” Kylee said. There was something cold in her voice that made it differ from her old voice. “Like my mother would be controlling me and I’ll just be… screaming for control. But this is more like relief.”

Autumn swallowed but said nothing. She couldn’t bring herself to say anything. The fact that something she created affected someone like this was wrapping around her head and the guilt was overpowering anything else she had felt that day. She fisted her hands at her sides to hide the trembling of her fingers.

 “I’ve gotta thank you for it, Autumn,” Kylee continued. “You contributed to this happening as much as Wyatt did.”

At that, Autumn’s guilt turned into confusion. She knitted her eyebrows, unable to hide that that was the last thing she expected her to say. Kylee’s eyebrows went up when she realized Autumn didn’t know what she was talking about and smiled in amusement.

“Of course,” she said. “He wouldn’t tell anyone, now, would he?”

“What? What’re you talking about?”

“Oh, I’d love to tell you, but I don’t wanna ruin the surprise.” The glow in her eyes brightened. “I have some errands to run. I’ll see you later, Autumn Ross.”

She turned to leave but Autumn spoke up, “Kylee?” she turned sideways, raising an eyebrow. Autumn gulped before saying, “Don’t listen to her. Don’t listen to Flora.”

She smirked. “Who said I was listening to anyone?”

With that, Kylee walked out of the lab, leaving Autumn dazed. Autumn let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding and fell back into her chair. Her head was spinning from the lack of sleep and the overwhelming events. She could barely think straight now and all she wanted was to escape everything, even if it was for a few minutes.

“Do you need morphine?”

Autumn turned her head toward Archer in surprise, forgetting that he was there. Then her mind registered his question. Morphine. She didn’t think anything sounded more tempting than that at that moment. She was about to nod when she heard her father’s voice in her head.

A coward’s move. A selfish move. You’re none of those, Autumn. You really think morphine is going to solve your problems?

Autumn fisted her hands in her lap and inhaled sharply. She only wanted to relax her mind for a little while. A single dose wouldn’t hurt, would it? But despite that, she couldn’t bring herself to do it. She kept thinking of Kylee before the serum affected her. All the things she was going through and she never thought of taking drugs. Why? Because she wasn’t a coward and she wasn’t selfish.

Autumn let out a breath and shook her head. “No.”

“You should at least rest then,” Archer said.

She shook her head again. “No. I need to go talk to Mr. Brown.” She looked at him and her eyes fell on the eye patch on his left eye. She couldn’t help but wonder what happened to him. “You should go back to your room.” She walked out of the lab, feeling like she was carrying the weight of the whole world on her shoulders.