chapter x

in rons room, enid is reading carls comic on his bed, while carl is playing a video game with mikey. "hey guy's im back!" ron announces as we walk into the room. "hey" carl says, making eye contact with me. we hold it for a little bit longer than we should have, me trying to work out if he has done IT yet, and ron and enid start getting a bit confused. "u guys okay?.." ron asks, looking between two of us. "what? oh yes" i say hurriedly, looking away from carl and focusing on enid. ron comes and sits next to me while he waits for a free controller, and all i can think about is how close our hands are. i slowly move my hand over, until our pinkies are touching, and i can feel my face going magenta. neither of us move our hands, and my stomach is going crazy with butterflies.

finally, mikey and carl finish their game, and carl offers ron a controller. ron gets up, taking carls place while carl goes downstairs to get a drink. "you look like a tomato" enid whispers in my ear. "oh shut up" i reply, giving her a shove. carl comes back upstairs, looking nervous and we make eye contact. i instantly know what he is about to do, so i give him a thumbs up. "hey enid, can you uh.. come with me? ive got something i wanna show you," he says, leaning awkwardly against the door frame. they both leave, leaving me, ron, and mikey.

as soon as mikey and rons game finishes, mikey tells us he has to get back for dinner. that leaves me and rom. i instantly get butterflies at the thought of me and ron being alone together, before mentally telling myself off for letting myself have feelings for him.

we play videogames for ages, having so much fun. "ha! i beat you again!" i shout with glee, looking at his shocked expression. "you liar! you said you have never played this before!" he accuses me. "i haven't!" i reply triumphantly, before getting bashed in the face with a pillow. "hey! how dare y-" i start, before he bashes me again. "oh thats it! you're on!" i shout, grabbing his other pillow. we have a pillow fight until we end up crumpled in a heap on the floor - a laughing, breathless mess. i look over at him, and just stare at him, admiring his face. i have the urge to just reach out and hold him, before remembering i can't do that - he's not mine. i sigh and stand up, recollecting myself. "i should get back." i say, awkwardly. he instantly looks confused at the change in emotion. "what? why? are you okay?" he asks, genuinely concerned. i just nod, and leave quickly.

for the rest of the day i just stay in my room. enid notices once she gets back, and starts lecturing me. "you can't just run away from your feelings , you know. you have to embrace them like i did!"
"what? YOU embraced your feelings?" i ask, bewildered. was carl not planning on confessing. "yeah! today with carl."
"so you mean.. he didn't ask you out?" i ask, shocked. "what? no! he just took me into the woods and gave me his favourite comic and we read it together. but i couldn't hide my feelings anymore, so i.. kissed him." she explains. my mouth is hanging open in shock! no way! he didn't even need to confess?!

"look, all im saying is.. i think you should try with ron." she states, bringing me back down to earth. i groan. "i can't" i sigh. "every time we hang out we just keep getting closer and our bond getting stronger. i can't ruin that!" enid finally realises i am helpless and will refuse any logical advice she goves me, so she leaves. i hug my pillow and stare at the polaroid of us. he is so gorgeous it's unfair.