chapter xvi

i sit in the back of the truck, guarded by men. complete horror fills my stomach. all i can think about is how ron will react, not even giving a single thought as to what they could do with me. i don't care. i just need to make it out alive and find him again.

i wake up - i must have blacked out for some reason. i am now in a room. i have a bed, and a toilet. lovely. more of a cell than a room but whatever. the lock on the door clicks and someone steps in. i dare not look at them, afraid i will seal my fate. "i'm negan." the person says. "damn, hold the questions!" he mocks, laughing at his own joke. i turn to face him in fear. "what do you want from me?" i whisper. "what do i want from you?" he asks. "let me think. repayment." he tells me. i frown, confused. "we saved you from a few walkers. ammo is very valuable nowadays!" he explains. i roll my eyes. "you want me to give you ammo?" i ask, incredulously. "of course not. we want you to work for us. with us."
"thanks but no thanks - i have my own group." i say.

yet somehow, i ended up sitting with negan, eating spaghetti. and i have to admit, it tasted pretty good.

over the next couple of weeks, i started warming up to this weird group of people. i still didn't trust them at all, but they weren't killing me, and that was all i needed in order to find ron again. as i had blacked out and were in the back of a truck, i had absolutely no idea where we were. so i could not get back to ron without these peoples' help.

negan seemed to have a soft spot for me. not in a creepy way, but in a parent/child relationship way. he was overly protective, and very considerate, for someone with a baseball bat covered in barbed wire. he tended to go out on "runs", but would always come back with something for me - whether it were a chocolate bar, a book, or a cool gadget or something. not big, but i loved them.

a few weeks in, he invites me to go on a run. "we've found a small town. the people there should be harmless." he explains, telling me i should be safe. i had recently found out that he did steal stuff from others, but there is nothing i can do about it. he forces me to hide in a trailer, so i would not get killed by anyone.

i listen through the door, trying to make out what negan was saying - he seemed to be talking to a group of people. thats when one replied. and i froze. because i could recognise that voice from anywhere.