chapter xix

its been a few months since ron asked me to be his girlfriend. of course, our lives have not gotten better, in fact they are pretty awful, but our relationship couldn't be better.

on this particular evening, ron has told me he is taking me out somewhere, beyond the walls. this is surprising, as ron hardly ever leaves our house anymore, let alone the walls. and he is wayyy too paranoid to let me leave. and although i know he wouldn't force me to stay, i do anyways, because theres nowhere i would rather be.

the sun is setting, as he leads me over the wall. it is so pretty, and i want to admire it, but ron doesn't let me, pulling me through the foliage. he refuses to tell me where we are going, and then stops after a little while, turning around. i follow his gaze, and see the most perfect little spot ever. its hidden, and there is a waterfall with a crystal clear lake welling at the bottom. lush green grass and wild flowers surround it, and vines creep up the steep gorge. placed on top of the grass is a plaid blanket, which ron takes me over to. there is a plate as well, with chocolate covered strawberries. i am completely convinced i am in a dream - because chocolate covered strawberries? in an apocalypse? ron must have been able to sense my confusion - "carol helped me grow a seed packet of strawberries. and i might have stolen a ration of chocolate," he confesses. i giggle at him, and look out at the little lake. the setting sun is glimmering on the surface, casting a golden glow everywhere.

ron and i eat the strawberries, the chocolate melting on my tongue, followed by the sweet juice of the strawberries, and then sit for ages, sharing stories from our past lives, and a few from our current ones.

fireflies start flying overhead as it gets darker, and i turn my back from ron, to look at them. i gush at their prettiness, before noticing rons lack of response. i turn back to face him to make sure hes still conscious (he is), and see him looking very nervous. i frown, confused, before he slowly holds up his hand. "um.. " he starts before stopping himself. "ron you okay?" i ask, growing increasingly concerned. he sighs, before focusing on what was in his hand.

after a few seconds, he stares at me. i stare back, utterly confused. he seems to be frozen, so i give him some time, before he pops the question. "y/n, will you marry me?" he sighs, and a massive grin spreads across my face. he holds out a beautiful ring, one that matches my necklace. he puts it on my finger, before i fling my arms around him, engulfing him in a hug.