An Imaginary Place

With a disembodied consciousness, Aerlyn had been soaring above a snowy mountain range on a sunny day. If a silvery surface of an irisean could operate at such heights, it would only capture images. It couldn't record the sensations she had experienced. The deep, thrilling cold and invigorating wind did not exist in the perpetually temperate Empire.

If she had stayed a moment longer, perhaps she could have tasted the moisture-laden air. Aerlyn tossed her head to dislodge the memory of her dream. It had seemed she was one small step from entering that world. She drew her knees up, hugging them to her.

'It isn't possible to transport to an imaginary place,' Aerlyn told herself. She breathed deeply, seeking calm. 'And I haven't dream-transported in ages.' However, the last time it had occurred, she had fallen asleep in this very bed, waking up on the rooftop of a grand estate outside the Capitol. That night, she had been imagining where her mother might be living. But how had she imagined the wild place in this dream?

Aerlyn shivered, drawing her silken bedsheets over her shoulders. She couldn't recall seeing artistic renderings of snowy mountains. She had a vague recollection of reading about snow harvesting as a child. Perhaps the text had described more than the commercial aspects of the once lucrative trade.

Aerlyn tried lying down again, but her mind would not stop imagining snow falling unregulated, its pristine water sold to the wealthiest elites. It had been such a different time in the Empire before magicians instituted weather control.

Rising from bed, Aerlyn performed the exercises prescribed by the Lakri, regulating the flow of magical energy throughout her body. The meditative practice prevented her emotions from triggering her magical abilities, but it was not a cure for Aerlyn's rare disorder. Only constant vigilance kept it under control.

When her magical energy achieved balance, Aerlyn checked the protective barrier she had erected around her bed. She had not yet endangered anyone while unconsciously casting spells, but it was best to safeguard the estate and all within it. Thankfully, the magical shield was undisturbed.

In the morning, Aerlyn would resume her study of telepathic magical blocks. She had neglected the personal project for far too long. If her work for the Masters had not dominated her attention... Aerlyn felt her magical energy stirring, and she longed to launch it.

After another round of deep breathing, she deactivated the protective shield, proceeding to the manor's ancient training chamber. At this early hour, Aerlyn did not have to creep through the spacious corridors, as all attendants would be asleep or in their private chambers.

The sprawling country manor had been constructed during the Balistica era when Asthildi prepared for war. As a child, she had enjoyed exploring the causeways and hidden passages. The sparse stone corridors had interested Aerlyn more than those deemed suitable for guests. One of those had led her to the ancient training chamber behind heavy bolted wooden doors. Aerlyn recalled the thrill of discovering the spell to unlock the doors.

Aerlyn uttered that incantation now, and the heavy doors parted noiselessly, revealing a dusty, cavernous chamber. With a long string of incantations, she returned the training grounds to working order, setting up a target. She hoped the metallic tripod still functioned. Inhaling for a long moment, Aerlyn gathered the magical energy flowing through her body, concentrating it into one vibrant mass in her hand.

"Zaritha!" she cried, unleashing a scarlet lightning bolt from her palm. It licked the front leg of the tripod, missing the broad face of the target. With a sizzle, the device absorbed the energy, displaying the elvish numeral for five on its face.

Aerlyn barked a laugh, the sound bouncing against the smooth stone walls of the sparse chamber. The first time she had attempted target practice—without her parent's permission—she had scored a seven.

Lifting her hand again, Aerlyn channeled energy through her finger. "Zaritha!" Corkscrews of magical power coruscated a brilliant burgundy, striking the target. "Zaritha!" She intoned again, sustaining the magical flow until the tripod emitted a high-pitched vibration.

Aerlyn stepped back from the squealing device, erecting an invisible shield around her. The next instant, the device was quiet, displaying the numeral for ten.

Smiling, Aerlyn released the shield. Tempering her next blow, she struck the target with a quick scarlet lash that scored an eight. She experimented with frequencies and patterns of energy until a chime sounded outside the door. Aerlyn wondered how long it had taken them to find her.

Taking note that she was in her sleeping gown, Aerlyn chanted, transmuting her thin garment into a flowing tunic over sleek leggings. She had adopted the attire chosen by Capitol elites feigning exercise. For a moment, she considered changing before opening the chamber doors with a chant.

A slim attendant in navy bowed to Aerlyn. "Good morning. I regret disturbing you, Kymestra. You have a visitor."