Unexplored Spaces

The young man lifted the pages closer to Aerlyn, who stroked the smooth material. With clumsy fingers, she isolated a blank page. Then, she pointed at the short, dark stick Cristoval used to draw. Laying the book in Aerlyn's lap, Cristoval gave her the sketching tool.

Aerlyn tried gripping it as she had seen Cristoval do, pinching it between two fingers. When she tried sketching a map, the tool fell from her fingers. Should she use magic? Aerlyn looked to Cristoval, whose soft brown eyes usually revealed his thoughts. Aerlyn picked up the sketching stick again, as she did not wish to see fear in her friend's eyes.

When Aerlyn could not wield the short, thick tool, Cristoval came to sit by her side on the bed, picking up the dropped sketching stick. Then, he placed Aerlyn's hand over his.

"Ah! Thank you, Cristoval," Aerlyn muttered, guiding his hand to draw a rough map of the Asthildi Empire. It was a challenge to remember the physical landmarks, rather than the Senatorial Cities and Prefecture lines. Cristoval's eyes were fixed on the page as the drawing took shape.

After finishing the sketch, Aerlyn drew her finger through the blank space abutting the mountains of Kalehala. Then, she pointed towards Cristoval.

"Your home." Aerlyn gestured to the rough sketch of the Empire and then herself. "My home."

"¿Dónde está ese lugar?" Cristoval muttered, shaking his head. The movement released a fresh, exquisite scent. What did humans use to cleanse their hair? The fragrances of the Empire seemed sterile compared to the goods produced by humans. A vial of Thalia's tea would have fulfilled Lymneth's request for a novel experience.

Lymneth's visit to the country estate seemed so long ago now. Aerlyn stroked her empty ring finger. Had it truly been less than a century ago?

"Echas de menos tu hogar," Cristoval said in a hushed voice.

Turning her head towards the young man's voice, Aerlyn met his expressive deep brown eyes. Not understanding what he said, she searched his face. He empathized with her. What part of her struggles had Cristoval discerned?

Realizing how close they were, Cristoval rose from the bed, taking the map with him. "Hasta luego," he muttered, attempting to exit. Thalia impeded him, however, giving him some instructions.

Aerlyn smiled. For some reason, the younger, diminutive female human exercised more social power. The broad-shouldered young man inclined his head, placing his book on the bedside table while Thalia stepped forward.

The girl sat on the edge of the bed, gesturing for Aerlyn to join her. Following Cristoval's example, Aerlyn complied without question, slipping from the furs. When Aerlyn shivered, Cristoval fixed the heavy fur cloak around her shoulders.

Thalia walked two fingers across her hand, and Aerlyn nodded, standing. She was going to leave the bedchamber! With each friend taking an elbow, they guided Aerlyn into a small corridor lit with a single lantern affixed to a smooth, white wall. The light was steady, casting a soft, yellow glow. How much humans accomplished without magic!

Aerlyn's legs felt the weight of the fur cloak and a knee buckled after they passed the first door. Without a word, Cristoval swept Aerlyn into his arms, carrying her.

"I can walk," Aerlyn protested, but neither friend noted her objection.

When Cristoval stepped into a large chamber, Aerlyn fell silent, studying the foreign objects with interest. In the center of the far wall, a smooth stone square housed red-orange flames. Aerlyn stared at the flickering source of heat, using Cristoval's shoulder to hoist herself up when they changed direction. Humans had devised a method of controlling this intense energy, which seemed akin to magical pulses released in battle.

Then, Aerlyn heard a rushing sound, reminding her of the sweeping currents of magical energy in the Capitol. Aerlyn looked towards the noise, seeing Thalia holding a wooden door open.

As Cristoval stepped through the open door, they entered a small chamber dominated by a large sienna-colored vessel. Aerlyn searched for the source of the sound, seeing a rectangular projection feeding water into the oval basin. Cristoval carried her closer to the water-filled vessel, surrounded by a wooden platform.

"Are you placing me in there?!" Aerlyn gripped Cristoval's neck, shrinking away from the deep water. Cristoval immediately stopped walking, but he did not release her. Aerlyn's heart beat at an alarming rate. She struggled to regulate her breathing, wondering why her body seemed beyond her control in the human realm.