A Magic Pathway

The snow sparkled! Millions of crystals refracted sunlight in a dazzling display. Even Lymneth would be awed by the sight. Aerlyn gazed at the fluorescing snowscape until her belly gave a peculiar groan, recalling her to her purpose.

After drinking water, Aerlyn felt better. However, the stomach discomfort returned a short time later. She needed to imbibe a greater quantity of water. Aerlyn surveyed the frozen tundra again, as if she could find more than rock and snow. 

Sighing, she uttered an incantation to transform the diffuse snow coating the rolling ground into a goblet, which retained some of the crystalline beauty of its source. Then, she manually packed fresh snow into the vessel that had used half a day's allotment of energy, using the smallest trickle of magic to melt the snow.

While she leisurely sipped the water, Aerlyn gazed at the glittering snowscape. If water provided sufficient nourishment, Aerlyn had an endless supply. She smiled, closing her eyes to relish the clean, cool liquid. It was doubtful Senator Primth had a superior glass at his breakfast table. She almost laughed. The renown Senator of Superlatives would not like being bested.

Enjoying her breakfast, Aerlyn scanned the snow-covered peaks surrounding her. From here, she couldn't perceive an end to the wilderness nor the most likely direction in which civilization—elven or human—lay. Ahead, the land sloped downward while the mountain swept upwards to the right. To the left, there appeared to be a steep drop a few leagues away. Behind her, rocky peaks soared upward.

It was clear which way would be easiest to navigate. If she stayed at the cavern, Aerlyn would never determine her location in the world. She drank the last of the water, fingering the smooth sides of her goblet. Aerlyn knew she had to venture into the frozen expanse before her. Upending the chalice, Aerlyn fit its slender stem between her fingers, preparing to walk.

She did not move.

'There is no reason to stay,' Aerlyn told herself. 'This is the expedition you have longed for.' Except, in her imagination, her intrepid father had always been at her side. Aerlyn shuffled forward one step.

'Father, how does the unknown not frighten you?' Aerlyn wondered.

Peering as far as possible into the white, sparkling distance, Aerlyn suddenly recalled her father's response to a simpering Crier calling him "fearless" in an interview. Galedyn had said, "Explorers are not without fear. There is something greater than fear that makes them go on."

Focusing on seeing her father again, Aerlyn stepped into the vast snowy wilderness. She marched past her previous footprints, keeping a quick pace to avoid melting snow. When Aerlyn's foot suddenly sank several inches into the snow, her body pitched forward. 

The goblet flew from her hands. Windmilling her arms, Aerlyn somehow avoided a fall. She held a shaking hand to her thudding heart, listening to her ragged breathing. 

After a few moments, she noticed her limbs were curiously light and her fingers trembled. Aerlyn's throat was raw as well. How could she combat these unpleasant sensations? Aerlyn tried the breathing exercises prescribed by the Lakri.

A few minutes later, Aerlyn scanned the vicinity, finding the spot where her crystalline goblet had disappeared beneath the snow. Holding out her now steady hand, she chanted a single word, summoning the chalice. Its smooth bowl felt good in her hands. Aerlyn observed the slopes and valleys of the snow-covered landscape again. They had appeared navigable, but was it safe to travel by foot?

Aerlyn's belly growled. Careful not to shift her stance, she melted more snow to drink while she considered her situation. After a few moments, she smiled, gulping water until the chalice was empty.

With sustained chanting, Aerlyn transmuted a thin layer of snow into a glistening square at her feet. She stepped onto the transitory structure and another square appeared in front of her. She used this next segment of her makeshift pathway, waiting for the square behind her to dissolve into snow, allowing energy to be released and recycled to create an additional step.

It was not the swiftest mode of travel, but the ephemeral pathway used a similar amount of magical energy as the heat shield. And it kept her from falling. Aerlyn looked backwards, noting with satisfaction that snow was now unharmed by her passage.

With ample time to survey the landscape, Aerlyn peered from side to side. To the left, a small dark line was prominent against the snowy environment. Hoping it marked civilization, Aerlyn shifted her path in that direction, cautious of the downward slope.