The Uninvited Guest

The young Asthildi's cobalt eyes sparking with excitement. "It is Asthil Lymneth," she gushed.

Aerlyn glanced back at the target. She had not realized it was past the hour for breakfast. Nor had she known Lymneth was in the country. She had been ignoring the local Crier Reports, but it appeared Aerlyn should start paying attention.

"Thank you, Lynne. In what room shall I find him?" With his connections, Aerlyn couldn't deny Lymneth an audience. Very few Asthildi could.

Lynne's eyes widened. "The Reception Chamber, Kymestra."

Aerlyn smiled. "On occasion, Asthil Lymneth may be the subject of national gossip, but he is also a family friend." She looked down at her attire again. "You may seek to entertain him, if you wish, while I ready myself."

Chanting again, Aerlyn transmuted her tunic into a light gown skimming the floor. A reminder of her status might be helpful. With a few more words, Aerlyn added a black swath of color to the gown, undulating from her shoulder to circle her waist and finally the hem of her gown. Aerlyn turned to exit, surprised to see Lynne standing beside the door.

The young attendant bowed more deeply than she had in her greeting. "If it pleases you, Kymestra, I can summon a mirror?"

Aerlyn studied Lynne for a moment. Was she trying to signal that Aerlyn's appearance was less than satisfactory? "Please do," Aerlyn inclined her head.

When the mirror arrived an instant later, Aerlyn observed the effects of sleep deprivation on her face. With a chant, Aerlyn summoned a vial of lotion from her personal chamber, applying a copious amount around her eyes. In a few moments, Aerlyn appeared refreshed. With another chant, the lotion returned to its original location.

"Lynne, I give you liberty to speak freely. I am likely to reside here for some time, and we should become familiar with each other."

After another look in the mirror, Aerlyn also tidied her hair, arranging it in a plaited crown with the aid of magic.

Lynne bobbed another bow. "Yes, Kymestra Aerlyn." She looked at the floor. "May I suggest a darker color for your gown? Perhaps a nice cornflower blue to match your unique eyes?"

Aerlyn glanced at herself in the mirror, sighing. "There are benefits to appearing plain. However, to honor your opinion, I shall compromise." With additional chanting, Aerlyn created a soft blue stripe to join the black one on the gown.

"And a lip color?" Lynne added. "It is Asthil Lymneth!"

"We played together as children, Lynne. He knows my natural lip color." With a sigh, Aerlyn added a gloss enhancement with a single word. "If he remembers."

"I am certain he remembers! He came to visit you." Lynne smiled, nodding her head.

Aerlyn returned the earnest young attendant's smile. "I cannot fathom the reason for his visit," Aerlyn confided. "But I am now ready to discover it." She stepped away from the mirror, and Lynne dispatched it with a one-word chant.

"Should I announce you, Kymestra?" Lynne inquired as they left the training chamber.

Aerlyn considered. It might be useful to remind Lymneth of their previous friendship. "I think not, Lynne."

"Then, shall I leave you?" Lynne inquired, her blonde head bowed.

"Yes. Thank you for your assistance this morning." Aerlyn wondered when the young attendant would embrace less formality.

Lynne gave a slight bow before departing and Aerlyn almost sighed.

In all too short a time, Aerlyn entered the Reception Chamber, an octagonal room with an arched ceiling decorated with colorful, fanciful scenes. One panel seemed alive with trees, which her father called a forest.

"Asthil Lymneth." Aerlyn spoke from the doorway, wearing a bright but distant smile. "It is a pleasure to see you again. I hope you were not waiting long."

Adorned in the latest fashions, Lymneth wore a fitted black tunic and snug ruby breeches artfully displayed his long limbs without showing an inch of skin. His blonde hair was loose to his trim waist. Slim platinum barrettes held back the hair at his temples, exposing the platinum caps accentuating his elven ear points. He held out his hand, the diamonds on his rings flashing with the movement.

"Kymestra Aerlyn." Lymneth's smile did not reach his violet eyes, which were enhanced by darkened lashes. "I would gladly wait longer to see your lovely face. When I heard you were in residence, I hastened to visit you. You have become the beauty I knew you would."

Aerlyn took his hand briefly. "You are too kind. I would invite you to a more comfortable chamber, but I am afraid none meet with Capitol standards." She gestured to the deep gray upholstered armchairs. When Lymneth hesitated, Aerlyn chanted, changing the fabric to a plush, white textile, which was a far more suitable backdrop for his ensemble.

"Thank you." Lymneth stole a glance at Aerlyn before sitting. "You are a most generous host."

Aerlyn joined him, perching on her charcoal armchair. She wondered how long it would take her guest to reveal what he wanted from her.