Chapter 20, Emmys POV

Exactly one week has passed since the eventful day with the DNA test. I try to ignore Keefe as much as possible and he doesn't make it difficult for me either. I watch him spend more time with my sister again. Who in turn hasn't spoken to me for a week. But I don't care, so I don't mind. Maybe I'm a tiny bit disappointed, but nothing more.

Instead, I spent more time with Biana Vacker, the beauty herself. She is friendly and actually not that bad. Well, she keeps trying to get me to do a makeover, but I've always turned it down. And I will continue to do so. Besides the urge to do a makeover on everyone, she is a nice person. We spend most of our time in Everglen because I don't want to see my sister and she probably doesn't want see me either.

I asked Marella if the meeting with Fintan was going ahead, but she just said she hadn't heard anything new. So, willy-nilly, I had to concentrate on my classes. And except in the hell of a class with Sir Andoin, I wasn't actually that bad. Except for my Enhancer class, which I still skip.

I didn't get the same good grades as Sophie, but it had to do. Except in alchemy, where I clearly have the better grades. Grady gave me a Nexus to measure my concentration. However, it's already gone. I built and improved my concentration with the Neverseen. That means that I'm not a complete loser in PE either.

I continued to have detention every day, with Keefe of course. Although I wonder what he did. But then again, it's Keefe, what am I wondering about anyway? Something is always happening with him. And fortunately we are no longer dance partners. I wouldn't stand to be around him any longer, the guy makes me sick. In exchange I get a different, mostly funny dance partner every day. Most were just gross, although all elves are supposed to be good looking. But my ex-dance partners managed to screw themselves up into being just plain ugly.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be better to dance with Keefe. Why am I thinking about him all the time, is this a new kind of torture? It was extremely effective. Keefe here, Keefe there. He just shows up everywhere.

As so often in the last few days, I enter the tutoring room. Everyone is already there, only it's not Lady Belva in the room, but Sir Andoin. A devilish grin covered his face when he saw me: "Well, Miss Pyren, late again?" Bittersweetly I smile back: "Always yes, but if the school bell doesn't decide when the lesson ends, it doesn't decide when it begins." I march into the room and look around for an empty seat.

There are exactly three free ones. One right in front of the mentor, that is Sir Andoin, that means this one is a no-go. Option number two is next to a boy who's staring at me now. I danced with him and by the end of the lesson he couldn't properly stand anymore, because of my clumsines. Aka stepping on his feet . So that also fell out. And the third option was... next to Keefe. I definitely had a very good selection.

"Can I move the table to there?" I ask extra politely, pointing to the other end of the room. "No, the tables stay where they are," Sir Andoin's voice is icy, so I sit down next to Keefe. First, he was the closest to me and I liked him the most. There's also a meter distance between us, fortunately.

When I look at the table, I see a lot of sheets in front of me and most of them have stars of some kind printed on them. There were also some colors and lines and some weird characters.

While Sir Andoin tells us what to do, I try to figure out which way to hold the map. When I finally come to a decision, Keefe grabs my card and turns it over completely: "Sorry, but I couldn't do this to myself any longer." "Pff, stars are all the same, whether they are the wrong or right side up" I say more to myself than to him.

"Miss Pyren," Sir Andoin draws my attention to him, "could you please repeat what the task is?" Shit, of course I couldn't. And I couldn't even pretend to understand anything. "Of course, but I'm sure everyone understood it", "Mr. Sencen looks pretty clueless, please explain what the task is", his voice sounded dangerous and I think of a plan.

I lean over to Keefe and whisper in his ear, "Please pretend you understand." I hope he would join in and help me. His face lights up, of course it's just acting, "Oh, now I get it. We have to label the glasses according to the starlight and then write the coordinates of each star."

I swallow quietly and get to work like everyone else.But it just doesn't work for me like everyone else, my card is wrong again. And Keefe has to, well, he has to twist them into the right position every time he can. So it happened that he pushed his desk next to mine and we worked together. -I'm really desperate, otherwise I would never accept his help.- So in short: he did the work and I copied.

He kept trying to make me laugh or reply. But he couldn't. I continued to ignore him diligently. Why? The more I trust him, the harder it will be for me to deliver him. That couldn't happen. And so it went until the end of detention.

Finally we pushed the tables back and I nodded my thanks and handed in my work. Sir Andoin immediately looks at the glasses and clears his throat, "Erm Miss Pyren, why is that one starlight called the Hunkyhairs Empire?" Keefe! How could he?! I try to contain my anger and curtly: "Misprint on one of the cards!"

Before he can reply anything, I walk out. Outside, Keefe is leaning against a locker with a grin on his face. As I catch up to him, I punch him hard in the shoulder. "Ouch, what the heck, well, a few bruises is worth it. Really, how naive can you be?" He laughs and rubs his shoulder. I'm about to throw a second punch, but just as I do, Marella comes around the corner. She looks at us in confusion: "Are you finished?" She waits until we have both nodded, "I have important information for you Emmy, the meeting with Fintan is in a week and a half."