Part 6

A/N: They may be typos and errors, I honestly could be bothered to edit lol, but I really enjoyed writing this chapter. When I next reread I may update any mistakes I found later on.

-

Getting Gwen to sneak in rope was fairly easy, using her skirt to hide it. Getting his knights to help him get out was easier, they agreed straight away after they heard what had happened to Merlin, he was like a little brother to them. Something Arthur mused that they had more loyalty to Merlin than himself and actually found himself all right with that idea, at least if anything should happen to him Merlin would be taken care off, Merlin and their child.

But right now, he needed to get out. He hadn't slept, now when from the window were Merlin normally sits when he takes a break, he could see the pyre being built. The pyre his father was going to burn Merlin from come dawn.

At dawn was on them, the rope was tied around a support column and the rest was daggling out his window down towards where Leon was waiting.

They hadn't had enough time to fully plan out what was going to happened. They still had no idea how to break whatever enchantment his father was under; Gaius hadn't found anything in his books yet. If it meant killing Catrina to break it Arthur wouldn't be one to hesitate. But first priority was to get Merlin to safety.

As soon as Arthur's feet it the grass below his window to runs towards to courtyard, grabbing the key in Leon's hand. For a second, he feared he was too late, the crowd was thick and rippled with chatter, and worst of all, Arthur could see flames.

He moved on instinct and on need to protect his mate and child. He grabbed a blanket from a nearby cart and dunked it in a barrel of water. He then pushed and sprinted through the crowd, people squeaked and grunted as he barged past, but when they saw who he was they started getting out of his way. He wrapped the wet blanket around him and jumped on his pyre, he heard people gasp and cry out as he did.

Merlin's head was hung low, he was slumped against the main wooden pole, and his breathing was coming out difficult, the smoke working its way into his body. Arthur covered the blanket over Merlin just big enough for both of them as he gathered Merlin into his arms and unlocked the cuffs. Merlin's knees gave up and became a deadweight in his arms. Carrying him, he coughed his way off the pyre. Once on cobblestone he shrugged the blanket off and collapsed to his knees taking in massive gulps of air—he'd held his breath so he wouldn't inhale any smoke—and put out any flames that had caught his trouser leg.

He cradled Merlin, who was passed out but trembling in his hold. His wrists were rubbed raw and bleeding, his hands and arms had burns and Arthur prayed his magic—now freed—could heal with quickly so he would be in pain when he woke. Taking his eyes away from merlin he looked up at the royal balcony.

"How could you?!" Arthur yelled to his statue-like father stood there unmoving starring down at them. Lady Catrina nowhere in sight. "You wanted to take him away from me! He's my mate! He's carrying my child!" He knows Uther won't care; the enchantment won't let him. But a scary thought passed his mind, would he care if he wasn't enchanted? Would he have reacted differently? Or would he have not, Merlin was magic, he was a servant, he was a male omega... He stopped thinking of those thoughts that chilled him to the core. But he does try one last blow to get through to his father.

"Of all the people, you should know how it hurts to lose one's mate. It tore you apart and still you'd do the same to me!"

The crowd had gone silent, but Arthur couldn't care for them in his moment, they hadn't tried to save a pregnant omega from being burnt even if he were a sorcerer. Or a warlock in Merlin's case.

His gaze was brought back to Merlin when he heard his gasps for air getting quicker and his trembling worsening. His hands were clawing at Arthur shirt front, and Arthur held him closer.

It was all a blur for Arthur from then on until he was back in his chambers gently dropping Merlin onto their bed. Gaius already there waiting to check over his ward, his great-nephew.

They hadn't seen Uther watching with confusion on his face from the balcony as Arthur took his mate into the safety of his arms and walking off with him.